Lane Altavista, VA End Tables 2 tier

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bshuck9132, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Bshuck9132

Bshuck9132 New Member

Hello all,
    I have a matching set of Lane Altavista end tables that I am looking for info on.
    Style # 971-07
    Serial # 168040
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Read the serial number back to front for the date of manufacture,

4/8/61 for your tables

3. Bshuck9132

Bshuck9132 New Member

Oh awesome. Older than I expected as they are in great condition. I bought them from somebody last year for $40 and it's maybe looking like I got an amazing deal on them. Do you have any ideas on appraising or how I can figure out a ballpark figure of how much they are worth?

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

The best way to estimate what they sell for is to search sites like eBay for similar tables which have sold recently. But you need to be aware that where you and the tables are will have a significant influence on price.

I am neither an appraiser nor a seller of furniture so I can only provide general info.

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Very hit or miss in my Midwestern USA neck of the woods. Do NOT believe the prices you see items listed for on sites like 1stdibs, etc.
    I had a beautiful Lane Acclaim series coffee table that I ended up giving away for free. I couldn't find a local buyer even for $50, despite seeing the same table listed online for $600+. (Has the MCM trend waned??)
    Mine looked like this:

[​IMG]

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

There’s a bit of confusion here. Altavista is a city in VA where Lane made and labeled furniture, so any furniture coming from Lane in that time period says Altavista on it.

Lane Acclaim is a line of furniture like bluumz shows. I’m surprised you couldn’t find a buyer, maybe it was in lousy condition? I always found Lane Acclaim pretty easy to sell as long as not overpriced (like for one to a few hundred depending on the piece), but only if they were refinished to good condition first. Demand much less in poor condition, and a lot of it shows up in poor condition. If yours actually was in refinished condition, then must be as you say, due to location you are selling in (I’m in northeast US, Boston area).

Anyway, Acclaim is about the most desirable of the Lane line, and OP didn’t include a picture, so we don’t know if his is Acclaim, or even MCM, since Lane also made a lot of furniture in that time that wouldn’t appeal to the MCM crowd. If it’s not MCM, then value would be much less. So really no way to know without some pics.

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Bshuck9132

Bshuck9132 New Member

9. Bshuck9132

Bshuck9132 New Member

Added pictures of my end tables. Sorry I wasn't sure how to do it last night. Hopefully they will help @Jeff Drum

10. Bakersgma

Your gallery pictures are in an album that is set to "private" meaning no one can see it unless you specifically add them. You need to change the settings to public.

11. Bshuck9132

Bshuck9132 New Member

Ok I think I figured it out. Should be able to see them now

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Mine was in beautiful condition. I advertised on both my local craigslist and FB marketplace. Got several people expressing interest but ultimately no one even showed up to view it. This was pre-Covid, about 2.5-3 years ago. I started it at $200, went to $150, then $100, then $50... over the course of about a month. Then I just wanted it gone and gave it to a friend of my daughter who was moving into an apartment and had very little furniture.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they look like nice telephone tables..............if one still has a telephone...:(:inpain::playful::playful:

14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Good work on the pics, shows why pics are so important. These have three things going against them compared to bluumz table - 1 looks like Formica tops not wood, 2 these two level tables less desirable compared to other coffee table end table configs, 3 although of the period, not really MCM due to cyma curves on the risers.

Still useful tables in good shape so use them if you can, but don’t expect huge interest if you resell.

bluumz, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted