Lampwork? Hand blown? What are these glass beads?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I wish I knew more about unusual glass beads but I am only slightly familiar with some styles and techniques. These beads look like they were made by melting ribbons or bands of colored glass--aqua, light green, lilac--and then pulled and pinched to form these triangular barrels. Each is about 7/8" long and 7/16" wide (23mm x 11mm). There is a different axis on each end. The opaque jadeite green glass beads are 11mm.

In some areas, you can see through the beads to the other so there seems to be a transparent, or nearly so, colorless buffer between the colors. At the ends of some beads, I see a white core, but not on all. There are small air bubbles in random places. The beads are very uniform in size and shape so I imagine it took a fair amount of talent to make them?

So, are these called lampwork? Blown glass (though I kinda doubt that) or something else? The round beads are sterling as is the 925 clasp. Thanks for your enlightening comments!
    Lampwork_lilac_green_aqua_SS_beads_nk_1.jpg Lampwork_lilac_green_aqua_SS_beads_nk_5.jpg Lampwork_lilac_green_aqua_SS_beads_nk_4.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Venetian lampwork, best guess. Those don't have the clay cores of the modern junkier pieces.

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted