Lamp manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jul 19, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Anyone happen to know who made this? L on switch with no other marks I see. Didn’t make it into an estate auction. I plucked it from the cast off pile for $0. Wondering what the L represents? 4CA81592-F716-4B98-85BB-5697F69281E4.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that puppy's seen better days !;)

sabre123 and J Dagger like this.
  3. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Certainly has, but nothing that a bit of TLC probably wouldn't cure.

I imagine that the L probably simply stands for LIGHT, the on / off switch ?

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  4. J Dagger

Sure has!!! Like super market sweep I had a couple minutes to grab as much as I could carry. Started shoving things into an old MCM era hamper to check out later. A couple old partial lamps included. The first one I got $50 or so for. I wind up doing pretty good on old partial lamps like this overall and no one else even looks at them. For free it was worth a shot! I got 50-100 pieces of antique silver cloth in the same grab. I always think it’s odd that nearly every auction and estate sale just casts off the silver cloth. I guess it’s messy and doesn’t make for an easy organization or presentation but some pieces would surely be a tiny more desirable with their original cloth. I grab it every chance I get when it’s free or very cheap. I’ll have to spend a a whole week listing it some day. I’ve amassed quite a pile! Some of it goes for pretty good money. Doesn’t sell often but when someone wants a specific one they’ll pay for it.

edit: not big bucks obv but I find sales like these are the bread and butter for me. A handful or two a day like this plus a handful or two of good ones a week and you’re set. The cheap stuff keeps the train moving though and it does add up.

komokwa, silverbell and sabre123 like this.
  5. J Dagger

Typically a manufacturers mark is in that place but it could be just that simple.

komokwa likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I think the "L" is for Leviton

They made/make electrical parts, not lamps.

komokwa and the blacksmith like this.
  7. J Dagger

Oh yeh, that could be it! I see Leviton sockets quite often. I guess that probably often extends to the switch without most of them being marked like the one I have.

a slightly more modern example here:
    D74A03AB-B5DD-4B6E-9C4A-F7338D47FAB2.jpeg

sabre123 and the blacksmith like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

"Leviton" may be stamped into the socket shell if you end up pulling the lamp apart to restore it.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted