Lalique??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Aug 17, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Is this a Lalique pintray or a copy? IMG_20240817_155105023.jpg IMG_20240817_155112323.jpg IMG_20240817_155139737.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I do not believe these have been reproduced because they are quite inexpensive. I wonder if someone went over the signature?

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

The signature looks a little slopy that's why i asked.

laura9797 likes this.
  4. laura9797

Yes I completely get it - I think someone went over the signature to enhance it.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

This board may help.I'm in no way endorsing this particular forum,but from my research a year ago when I picked up an R. Lalique eagle hood mascot-this site seemed the most thorough non-museum source I could find.
    I haven't used it yet myself,or spent countless hours vetting it,so 'caveat emptor' and good luck.
    https://rlalique.com/lalique-authentication-authenticate-r-lalique

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, sadly it is a modern piece interesting reading:
    Modern Lalique Crystal Signature Example #6: LALIQUE FRANCE or Lalique France

The most common signature for 1945-1977 modern Lalique crystal pieces is Lalique France, and typically it is in one of two forms. First is a stenciled capital block letters signature, with the word FRANCE next to or underneath the world LALIQUE. FRANCE may also be a slightly smaller size, but the same typeface and style. Also, when France is next to the word Lalique, it does not have to be a perfectly straight line. Some of these signatures had the word placement curved a bit as you can see in one or more of the examples. The second form is the script, sometimes almost scratched-in looking Lalique France with the L in Lalique and the F in France capitalized. Again, France may be next to or under Lalique and as with the first form, the style will be the same for both words. And as with Example No. 1 (the signature with the ® in between the two words), the script signatures have wide-ranging appearances due to the pieces likely being signed by hand and not machine.

For both these style signatures you focus on what is missing: the leading R. before the word Lalique. If there is no leading R., and the words Lalique and France are as shown with each of the two words in the same style next to each other, or France underneath Lalique, then the piece is represented by the signature to be modern crystal and not pre-war R. Lalique.

We are adding sample signatures for this as time permits, so as long as you see this message, these are not complete. We are currently missing more examples of both styles of signatures where the word France follows Lalique so it's next to it and not below.

kentworld and kyratango like this.
  7. bosko69

Still a beautiful piece,not a knockoff (?),and not cheap.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  8. laura9797

There is a big difference between R. Lalique and Lalique - Lalique is still producing new crystal. Definitely not the same. https://us.lalique.com/

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  9. bosko69

Ditto Laura-R. died I think in 44 or 45 ? That's the golden age stuff.

kyratango and laura9797 like this.
  10. laura9797

Yes and the guy who runs rlalique.com is considered a little bit of a menace in the auction industry - particularly eBay. Some people think if a piece is marked Lalique then they should put Rene Lalique or R Lalique in the title and this guy will threaten to have them removed from eBay. I think I remember him coming after one of our auction houses on Liveauctioneers because the piece was catalogued as (after)Rene Lalique vase or something and it was from the Lalique factory but after an original piece. He threatened to put us on his website as a fraudulent company, etc. I am sure he gets inundated with a lot of fakes and contemporary pieces. I will say, he would be the authority to go to if there were any questions in a piece.

johnnycb09 and bosko69 like this.
  11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

ok

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

does anyone know anything about the stone i posted? in chinese mirror

13. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

well this is it i think 55.png

laura9797 likes this.
  14. bosko69

Ditto Laura's comments re Lalique.There's as much hi-quality phony Lalique as Tiffany,some of the Polish stuff's exquisite.
    Interesting that R.Lalique's policing Ebay-that's passionate ! One would literally have to be a divine entity to ID the amount of bogus antiques and antiquities coming out of just China these days.

laura9797 likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's dead right, they're notorious for sloppy signatures. Yes, modern.

laura9797 likes this.
  16. bosko69

It's rather sad that such an illustrious company has adopted such sloppy sigs/logos,but-the modern world (?).

Draft saved Draft deleted