Kyoto satsuma vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I think that's what they are anyway. I saw these in the window of my favourite charity shop, just before I went away last week. They looked like nothing I've ever seen before so I almost ran into the shop and I'm sure I would have fought anyone else who tried to lay a finger on them. On closer inspection they look quite crude in decoration and construction. I have found plenty of references to Kyoto satsuma, but I have no experience of this. Maybe they are copies or made well into 20th century when standards dropped. Still, they seem to fetch reasonable prices and are quite different. They stand at 25cm tall.

IMG20231228114248_copy_929x1240.jpg IMG20231228114238_copy_911x1215.jpg IMG20231228114252_copy_1575x1181.jpg IMG20231228114255_copy_1506x1129.jpg

916Bulldogs123 and Figtree3 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't get it !
    those get money?
    they're so poorly painted, I wouldn't let them in my home ........

but, that's just me................................... unless others see the same thing..;):jawdrop:

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Yes. It feels like I am missing something.

916Bulldogs123 and komokwa like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Brand new looking "in the style of sort of" but not authentic Kyoto Satsuma IMHO.

It's missing a lot.

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

IMHO They are copies of Satsuma vases.
    But I could be wrong
    Mikey

Chinoiserie and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They are originals, just really crude examples made when the Japanese economy was in serious trouble and no one was buying Satsuma anymore in the 30's. Agree that they are very poor quality, and they have little commercial value, similar examples can be found in job lots in auctions for not very much money.

7. Chinoiserie

Thanks guys for the info. They only cost 4 pounds for the pair so might scrape it back :rolleyes:

916Bulldogs123 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted