Krueger Matrix chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Recent acquisition.

From some quick research on "Matrix Krueger, Green Bay Wisc" figured these were 1970s but there is a set of numbers on a label (each chair has one on the base) that has a print out that looks like it could be a date, see the paper label and the part that reads: PSD 06/21/94.

It seems like they are producing these Matrix chairs again (but not by the Krueger factory). I'm still thinking these must be 70's, since they have the Krueger mark, but open to suggestions.

Final photo is so interesting, on the base of each chair is a little quarter sized dial with 4 settings, it seems to show the exact day, month, year the chair was made, plus one other setting, no idea what this means "1 or 3". This is what also makes me think 1970's, what a quirky little addition, has anyone seen similar? All six chairs have this under the seat with all numbers matching. Unfortunately the year dial only has one digit, and it appears to be a "5".

(Chairs look white in first photo, are a bit off white/gray in real life.)

matrix1.jpg matrix3.jpg matrix5.jpg matrix6.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    cxgirl likes this.
  2. Lucille.b

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The new quiet slow close toilet seats have those type of dial dates molded into the under hinge.
    greg

4. Lucille.b

Thanks, Greg.

Maybe these are near new? Perhaps the dial means that! (or possibly 1994?)

These new release Matrix stacking chairs seem to retail for $125 a chair, not that I'm expecting that, was hoping for a quick turn around at $100 for the set of 6, or a bit more.

That they were made in Green Bay, Wisc. (and not China) made me think older, but who knows?

Any other thoughts?

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I like that they are stackable, perfect for a BBQ/casual gathering when you need more outdoor seating :cat:

6. Lucille.b

Agreed, I think the stacking capability will be their major selling point.

They have a clean modernist look, less frumpy and a bit wider in the seat than old folding chairs, and actually are fairly comfortable.

They were ($3 each), not sure whether to try on Craigslist or list on Ebay w/pick up only.

Lulululu and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I could definitely see those in a dining room,Lucille. That style is very "in" right now.Depending on your location,they should be an easy craigs sale. Here in n. fla,theres still not a huge market for MCM (weve always been 10 years behind anything) ,that's why Im able to get stuff like this style dirt cheap !

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These are generally institutional, or that's where I've seen them. Churches, schools etc have them around. The stackability is the major selling point. I do know that when they show up in the local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity thrift) they tend to fly out.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Meeting or conference room use is where I've seen them. Hotel conference centers with modular walls because of the wide variation in the uses of such rooms.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there's a phone number there......give em a call !@

11. Lucille.b

Komokwa, I thought of that exact thing. Give em a call!

Maybe I'll get the guts up to do it. Will definitely report back.

12. Lucille.b

Did it.... Number out of service. :wideyed:

13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like they're still in business, though.

http://www.ki.com/

You could try the contact us part of the site.

14. Lucille.b

I think I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter whether older or newer, so might not contact them after all. I'll include shots of the base and let the buyers decide. Looks like the new ones retail for $125+ a chair, I was hoping for $100-150 for the set of six. Would be thrilled with that.

I might try on Ebay first (pick up only) just in case this color is more desirable for some reason. If that goes bust I'll list on CL.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Now I'm going to have to go look at the toilet seat for the dial!

gregsglass likes this.
  16. Lulululu

Lulululu New Member

You've probably heard it before, but protect yourself if you do craigslist. My city has had 2 seperate incidents of murder (of 3 people) in the last couple of weeks. The second one was over a used cell phone and all three victims were better than good people who were well known for their community service.

The recommendation is to meet in the lot of a police station, without the money on your person.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I had about 30 of these chairs. Sent a bunch to auction and got next to nothing for them. Still have some somewhere. Great design and comfortable but were a dud at auction here.

18. Lucille.b

Hi Brad. Was hoping you'd stop in. We'll see what happens. I think if someone is looking for a modernist set (and hopefully does some comparison pricing online) I'll get a sale, since I'm asking $100 for the set. This kind of style is pretty popular where I live (the whole IKEA look) but you never know.

Lulu, on the CL note, I think different parts of the country are more risky for CL. I'll be careful, though.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd advertise them as Wedding Reception chairs. They look like something a caterer would have or a reception hall would.

Draft saved Draft deleted