Featured Kralik (I think) pitcher and glass set. Eye candy...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

A neighbor asked me to come over to see if I could help identify a set of glassware he inherited from his grandmother.

I had something envisioned in my mind as to what they were going to look like, but just about fainted when I walked in and saw this set. All pieces are marked Czechoslovakia.

When I got home I searched, "Czech art glass pitcher" and immediately found two identical pitchers attributed to Kralik, if I have that much right, would this set be considered in the Bambus pattern? Incredibly he has all 8 glasses.

The clear part of the glass is an unusual pale rose color, and those cobalt stripes at the top are actually a thin layer of applied glass. The set is so modern looking in a way, incredible they are from the 20's or 30's.

He is keeping them, but thought some of you might enjoy the photos.
    Thanks!

kr1.jpg kr2.jpg kr4.jpg kr7.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Drooooooooollllllllll! Those are beautiful!

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

OMG ! I envy , I envy ! Those are truly stunning .

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Does that say, "Technoslovac.." or what?
    This set is incredibly gorgeous. Love it.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, that set is fabulous Lucille! I really like the cobalt bits at the top:) I think you are correct on your pattern and id - maybe @desperate_fun will see this and confirm for you

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am very envious of that set. It is really gorgeous. Wiping drool off my lips as I apply whips to my shoulders.
    greg

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Stunning! Beautiful photography too.

8. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Most definitely Kralik. A very nice set as well. I have no idea what the decor is but I'll see if I can find out for you. (Bambus is slightly different)

9. desperate_fun

I have cross posted a couple of the pics to get confirmation as well as a decor. It may be "Flame" or "Corded Flame" (I'm just guessing do not quote me on it LOL)

10. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

OMGosh...absolutely gorgeous!!!

11. desperate_fun

As a side note for @antidiem

It does read Czechoslovakia, but there are Kralik pieces marked with Tchecoslovaquie (The French spelling)

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh my those are stunning! I wonder if the reason they still have all the pieces is that they were afraid to actually use them. I'd just stare at them all day:wideyed:

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

WOW!

.............just...........WOW!

And for the full set to have remained intact is a miracle. Is it 100% without flaw? You could even get away with a couple of dings on something this spectacular...and potentially very rare.

14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

15. desperate_fun

This is what I know for sure. It is Kralik. It really doesn't have a decor. We do know, it is threaded. There is a Decor that is similar and it is "Kralik Spiral"

There is a piece of "Kralik Spiral with a flame" but flame is a pulled solid colour.

Long story short, no decor name but you wouldn't be wrong calling this

"Kralik - Spiral with a feathered flame"

Hopefully this name will get adopted :)

As a side note, these pieces are probably UV reactive.

16. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'll pass along some of this info, thanks to all for taking a look.

Desperate, by "UV reactive" do you mean it would glow under UV light? I also appreciate the description "Kralik - Spiral with a feathered flame" which should be what it is called and could catch on. Thank you for the help.

Although condition is very good, there are a few issues. The cobalt applied spiral at the very top on a few of the glasses is spotty near the rim on 3 of the 8 glasses. At first I thought these were chips, but ran my finger around the rim (perfect), its just the spiral that has come off. However it sort of presents like a chip at first glance, with some roughness (although on the outside) because it is near the rim.

These were kept in a cabinet all these years. I think my neighbor would like to use on a daily basis, them rather than just look at them.

(Also, SIS, amazed that was a closing price on those. I would have thought a few $100 more.)

Just so everyone can spit out their coffee, my neighbor was going to put the glasses in the dishwasher. When I heard that, I blurted out (sexist as it may have sounded) "OMG did your wife stop you?!"

Turns out the wife did stop him.

I do appreciate the desire to actually use something like this on a daily basis, though can't say that I would.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OMG, I almost healed at the screen - NO DISHWASHER!!!!

I sell a fair amount of vintage glasses at antique shows and the flea market and I always tell the buyer "Do not put these in the dishwasher!" I would rather lose a sale then let them think it would be OK.

18. desperate_fun

@Lucille.b

Yes, they should glow a bit under UV Light.

I'm glad I could help.

pearlsnblume and tyeldom3 like this.
  19. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Good for you, Marie Forjan. :happy:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted