KPM mark authenticity question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Enzo665, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

This mark is on a brown painted vase with some gilt work. Advertised as KPM, circa 1850. Mark at the bottom of the porcelin vase shown here. Any opinions? My concern is the letters KPM do not look as "sharp" and " neat" as I am accustomed to.
    Photo attached

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

Hi Debora thanks for looking! Is there a message there I can only see the original photo I posted ?.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Debora simply posted your image in full format so it is easier to view the mark. From what I can see it doesn't look wrong, but some bits worn off. It would help if you could post a photo of the item.

5. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

Thanks!
    Image here... Screenshot_20231230_220316_eBay.jpg

6. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies, Enzo. I should have explained why I reposted your photograph. In the future, you'll want to make sure to use Full Image rather than Thumbnail when posting photographs for reason above. (And not to worry. All new members do the same thing in their first few posts.)

Debora

8. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

Besides the lack of sharp definition of the KPM, other concern is the lack of the blue scepter (which I know is not always present). Every other orb with the cross at the top I have seen online has a very well defined, larger KPM below it and is usally more orange in color. This one just appears like it leans to the right, the P is touching the orb, and the letters are smaller than the online examples I've reviewed etc. Could the fact this is hand painted and not inkstamped explain this, as opposed to it being a forgery?

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

that is authentic KPM piece - there are fakes out there - that is not a fake mark

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

Thank you!
    Any idea on the age? It seems this mark was used 1832 forward?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Enzo665

Enzo665 New Member

Wow great. This forum is awesome much appreciated !!

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Enzo665 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted