Featured Korean Lacquered Box - Any Comments

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 17, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I waited over 2 hours to have the first chance to buy this shiny, lacquered box with brass fittings. It sure is pretty. I only saw this box through the window, so I didn't have a chance for a close up look before I bought it. I thought it was a jewelry box, but it appears to have only a fitted upper section that lifts off to reveal a large lower section. The inside except the interior of the lid is heavily lacquered like the outside. Its purpose is a mystery to me. It is very large at 14 inches long, 7 1/2 inches wide and 6 1/2 inches tall.
    It has been around the block, so I'm hoping for some thoughts about age. The bottom has a damaged corner, and the brass top piece has a dent. It has a label. Whatever it is, I am very happy with it and will find a use for it. Any comments will be very appreciated.
    Title edited based on @916Bulldogs123 translation.

IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3856.jpg IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3859.jpg IMG_3860.jpg IMG_3863.jpg IMG_3864.jpg IMG_3865.jpg IMG_3862.jpg IMG_3867.JPG

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it, but it looks very cool!!

3. KikoBlueEyes

I was enamored at first glance too.

4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

What I get from Google translate
    Xing Xing Lin Raw Lacquer.
    Korea raw lacquer ancient folklore.
    Mikey

pearlsnblume, judy, Ce BCA and 2 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent! Thank you so much! So, it's Korean. This is a great place to launch a search from.

pearlsnblume, judy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  6. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

It could be the wedding ceremonial item…or a gif for a bride. Very pretty.

7. KikoBlueEyes

8. KikoBlueEyes

Exactly right! I found something similar on Worthpoint as you were posting. Thank you

pearlsnblume, judy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Clearly pretty new, post WW2, but you already knew that? I'd guess 80's, 90's.

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

To add, 杏杜林 is the markers seal on the left, it say Xingdulin. Also just note the writing is Chinese, so it was likely made in China for the Korean (or export market) rather than being a Korean made piece.

Smaller text below reads Korea Raw Lacquer Ancient Folk Products

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. I didn't think it was very old, but I didn't have a range at all. Thank you.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you very much! I took a few Chinese calligraphy classes, but only to learn about the language. I very much appreciate you identifying the source. I wish I had language skills like you.

14. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It does take a long time, I don't find it easy, but it is surprising how far you can with just a few mins a day. I just try and do 10 mins a day and after a while things start to click and you notice elements which help you work things out.

15. KikoBlueEyes

Great advice. I’ll look into that. Do you do it in on line course or a book?

judy, pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  16. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As I'm wanting to translate older and handwritten script most of what I do I have to find myself. I use radicals breakdown and writing translators to help with this. I do also watch/listen to some videos on basic Japanese but that doesn't help a lot for antiques (at least not for me).

So I look for auction catalogues (from the better auction houses) and try and translate words on art/pottery, then if I get stuck I can look at the auction houses professional translation to see what I did wrong or right. I'm still just at pattern recognition though, I can't 'read' kanji although I am starting to get familiar enough with a few that can give me a starter on translating.

17. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

The two-round pieces on the front appear to have the Chinese double happiness wedding symbol.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

bercrystal, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Terrific! Thank you very much. This cements the idea that this is a wedding box. I so appreciate the information. Good information too.

bercrystal, 916Bulldogs123 and judy like this.
  19. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Teamwork answered the who, what, where, and when on this box.
    Good work everyone!!
    Mikey

20. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. It is truly splendid how everyone works together to help each other and solve the riddle.

Draft saved Draft deleted