Korean carved wooden calligraphy Seogak wall art need info

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Jan 19, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I can find several similar examples of this type piece but little information and most of that appears to be in Korean and with no translation options that I can figure out. It is refered to as Seogak or Gakja. It looks like it is done by hand but it may not be and it does look to be newer. It measures around 18" by 7" and had the look of stained pine, but feels heavier than a pine piece would. If anyone has any knowledge of these items or can help in anyway in further identifying it I will be very thankful.

IMG_3380.JPG IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3326.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3381.JPG IMG_3387.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  3. Kevolee

I read in the Korea Times article that this can now be done by machine and be made to look exactly like a true hand carved piece. I'm going to assume this is a machine done decorative piece, but it's still different than anything I have stumbled upon to date. Thanks for the information.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

from the amount of Chinese characters they use it may well be after old models and religious. I'd check if they have temples on that island and compare the characters to the places.
    normally family names and religious stuff are still written in Chinese characters. that's what they told me anyways when I was looking at their business cards when working there.

5. Kevolee

Sorry for the delay, I fell on ice and broke a rib so between the pain and pain medicine, I'm having enough trouble with English language. Looking up Chinese will probably have to wait a bit, but thank you for the information and I will look into it.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Kevolee , sorry to hear of your accident. Get well soon!

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted