Korean 1953 POW Island Cigarette Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Eden Joy, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

What is a 1953 Korean Cigarette Box Worth?
    So my late father left me a Korean cigarette box holder made from wood, inlaid with mother of pearl that says Korea and Koje-Do with a farmer smoking a pipe.

I want to sell it. What is something like this worth? Condition is pretty good. Link to pic of box - http://tinypic.com/r/1zxbgg7/9[​IMG]

KingofThings and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

3. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

This is mine. People are asking for Buy it Now and don't know its worth. Couldn't find anything anywhere like it.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Are you aware Koje-Do was a Korean prisoner of war camp? As a general rule, BIN offers are red flags that an item is mis-identified and undervalued. If it were mine, I would end my eBay auction, do better research for a more complete listing and re-list with a higher starting price (since you know there will be interest.) And, by way, items from the Korean War are considered "vintage" not "antique."

Debora

5. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

Okay.....except that people are ASKING me for BIN. It wasn't my idea and the research I've done thus far hasn't produced a thing - which is why I am asking here. Thanks.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

"Shipping is from Israel." and yet your listing shows shipping via USPS from New York? Odd...

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I understand that. They are trying to take advantage of the fact that you don't know what you have on offer.

Debora

9. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

Yes. People actually travel.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

I do know what I have to offer. I realize it is worth something more - so now I adjusted it - I think this is a fair price. Thank you Deborah for the head's up. If you think this is still low, I'd appreciate your feedback. Much obliged.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

12. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Ok? But you are not calculating correct shipping charges if you are actually having it shipped from Israel, and not from New York via USPS. The shipping times will also be messed up. But whatever. You already changed your listing with a BIN so you seem to have an idea of what you want for it.

13. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

My advice -- not that you asked -- is to take away the BIN and let the market decide what your item is worth. You're not even using the words "trench art" in your title so many collectors who might be interested in your item won't be able to find it. Before that though -- and I repeat -- IMO you should end your listing early, do full research, write a complete listing, clarify the shipping issue, start with an appropriate opening bid (say $50) with no BIN... and then complement yourself on a job well done as you wait for your item to find a deserving home with a worthy collector.

Debora

15. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

What more research should I be doing? I have literally exhausted every angle with this. I hear you on all other counts. Please just enlighten me on what more do I need to know about this before going ahead with the auction? Should I simply cut and paste on the Korean artisans who created souvenirs on the island while 100,000's of Koreans were imprisoned in labor camps? Appreciate your input. I'm listening.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've glanced at your listing. My quick suggestions would be: 1) end your listing immediately, 2) change the category as Collectibles not the best place for military items, 3) revise and tighten up your heading with key search words. For instance, add "trench art," omit "1953" as everyone knows when the Korean War was (or they should,) and add material (metal?) 3) given yours is a higher end item, you could invest in sub-title to explain provenance so collectors will know item new on the market which adds value and interest, 4) improve your description including, but not limited to, adding details on provenance and condition (dents? scratches?) 5) bring up your listings type face and use a san-serif font for easier reading, 4) clarify shipping. What's with this Israel? And I'm seeing $15 via Economy Shipping which seems high for something that will fit into a pocket. Also, when selling $XXX items, it seems rather cheeky to charge a profit-making amount for shipping. If it were mine, I'd offer free Priority Mail shipping and take the hit. But, before step 2) do a through internet search for comparables using "trench art" and "Korea" as search terms. Not just on eBay but on military forums, Pinterest. Don't forget Google Image search. That will give you a better idea of what you have, what the market is and how to position your item.

Debora

komokwa, Christmasjoy, Kronos and 4 others like this.
  17. Eden Joy

Eden Joy New Member

Cool. Will do it. Thank you :)

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted