King George III Plaque (?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Doug Ketcher, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Recently picked this up at an estate sale in Virginia. It was detailed as an "Antique King George the Third Icon Resin Plaque", which sounded cool, so I bought it. It is approximately 9 inches tall and 6 inches wide. Not sure if it is actually made of "resin" or lightweight would, but outside of being a plaque featuring a rider on horseback, but really sure who / what this is. I can find no date or name on the piece. Can I get you smart people to throw some intelligent ideas my away (who, what, when, where)? Thanks in Advance!
    Antique King George III Resin or Wood Wall Plaque - 01A.jpg Antique King George III Resin or Wood Wall Plaque - 02A.jpg Antique King George III Resin or Wood Wall Plaque - 03A.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wonder why George III. That costume and hair style look much earlier.

Debora

Doug Ketcher and mirana like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Charles II maybe?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Earlier.

Debora

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An equestrian portrait of Charles II.

Debora

Unknown.jpeg

Doug Ketcher and bluumz like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I can't quite tell... could that be a Rockingham (pottery) glaze?

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely not George III. I suspect the image this is based on is one of those ubiquitous etching portraits, but the closest I've dug up is this one and the hair doesn't fit.

horf1.jpg

But you get the idea.

Any chance, at this size, that this is 1 half of a bookend set? If too light, maybe it was mounted to a base? I'm not seeing where it would have been mounted for hanging, otherwise.

Doug Ketcher and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Doug Ketcher

Thanks Debora... Excellent observations. Agree!

9. Doug Ketcher

I think you may have nailed it!! I think I see the long hair and mustache! Sure wish it had some identification!! Thanks Debora!!

10. Doug Ketcher

Thanks Mirana! Not sure, but it is extremely light and has hardly any mass, which I thought it was made of wood (the seller called it "resin"). Still not clear to me if it was a wall hanging or part of something larger that was taken from. Interesting piece for sure, but darned if I can find ANYTHING on it.. Many Thanks for your insights!! :)

mirana likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You figure appears to be dressed in Medieval garb. Not House of Stuart, not Georgian.

Debora

Doug Ketcher and mirana like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed. The long cassock-like outfit isn't going to match many Kings who's garb included showing off their fine calves. Either medieval, or middle eastern is going to be a better fit.

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  13. Doug Ketcher

Wow! Interesting.... any idea as to time frame...?

14. Doug Ketcher

Cool info! Wish I could track the gent on the horse down... Thanks tho!!

Draft saved Draft deleted