Featured Keep the Brown Furniture Comin’(Chair)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Shwikman, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Guessing another $15 chair...which I’m good with because I like these and they’re nice and solid(when chairs creak under me I get nervous). Just wanted to be sure. Any info is appreciated.
    Thank You!

6FC37080-E9EF-4B1D-95CF-EE4C8D669206.jpeg 006E8EB2-C9CF-4AD1-BA54-E1F8A96A6156.jpeg 27238434-3D29-4DD9-8F24-62135D21DE99.jpeg

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Another nice chair alright. Craftsman, early 20th century, oak. Just ask Ikea if THEIR chairs will be around after 100 years.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Nice solid dining chair, probably from the 1930s-40s.

Christmasjoy, judy, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  4. Shwikman

Very Cool!
    Thank You!
    Side note: my neighbor just remodeled and spent a boat load at IKEA. I wonder what his “wobble factor” is going to be in 10 years.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He'll have new chairs in five. Ikea has a design life of about that, the last I looked.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You can tell somebody is really into furniture construction when they take the seat of a chair out and show it only from the bottom. :)

Is the seat upholstery replaced? Anyway, it's a very nice chair.

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

IKEA doesn't want their chairs to be around more than 5 or 10 years. You can pick up nice solid early 20th century chairs all day long for $5.00 here in Iowa.

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I like antique brown furniture, it's been around for 100+ years and if taken care of will still be around long after we have gone :)

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  9. Shwikman

9FC19AFD-FD29-4292-A7F8-76A8B15118D9.jpeg

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

Those tacks look original, or at least pretty darned old. If the seat cover is vinyl it's been redone. If that's leather, it's the original. If vinyl, you have my blessing to have at!

kyratango, Ghopper1924 and Shwikman like this.
  12. Shwikman

They’re vinyl.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. evelyb30

I thought it would be; it looks like some stuff my grandfather used on furniture back in the 40s. I'd imagine the original was leather.

14. Shwikman

Wouldn’t be surprised if my grandpa did these in the 40’s as well! He was more into working “the land” but when he needed to save a buck he was pretty handy. His brother in law(my great uncle?) was a carpenter and made a bookshelf and dresser for my dad around that time which I still have. I know upholstery and carpentry are different trades but he could’ve made short work of something simple like this. The story goes that he was employed at the Winchester house for many years....ahhh stories!

judy, Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  15. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the brown vinyl doesn't look bad.
    Certainly easy to clean spills if at a kitchen table with kids.

judy, patd8643 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted