Featured Kaiser West Germany Alarm Clock: What Needs Fixing?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by RachelW, Apr 8, 2023.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hi all!

I've been needing an alarm clock and picked up this one last week.

Its got Kaiser on the face and west germany on the back. The face has that glow in the dark element in the dots and hands. I've found a few similar online but none with both the pocket watch look and this particular face. As far as I saw Kaiser produced travel alarm clocks from the 30s-72, but that's all I've got...

IMG_20230408_182048.jpg
    IMG_20230408_182059.jpg
    IMG_20230408_182203.jpg

It has this inscription on the bottom, I assumed this was the owner's mark, JM being initials and 66 being the year? Or am I wrong on this?
    Untitled.png

Its had a rough life and I like it like that, but it is somewhat broken. I got it as a potentially fun project but I know nothing about clocks at all so would appreciate some pointers at what I'm looking at! Is it missing a ring on the bottom? The left ring is the wind and it barely moves and snaps back to place when you let go. Sometimes you can hear it ticking faintly when its shaken but the arms don't move. Does this mean its 'overwound' (though I heard that wasn't a thing and just needs cleaning/oil?)? Can I do this myself or do I need to take it to someone? The alarm ring works just fine!

IMG_20230408_182117.jpg

Also I've only gone over it with a little soft scrub and a gentle toothbrush, anything else I can do to get it looking a little happier?
    Thankie :D

Figtree3, silverbell and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The works are probably dirty and need to be cleaned. I think that taking it to a qualified repair person will cost more than the clock is worth just to open it to take a look.

If shaking it can coax a few ticks, try doing and applying some backward pressure on the winder. That backward pressure might keep the ticking going. You would have to do that for some time and/or repeatedly before the spring will loosen enough to carry on by itself.

Anything more than that will require opening the clock.

It's probably easier just to get a clock that works.

Given the design and West Germany designation, 1966 makes sense.

Figtree3, Boland, RachelW and 3 others like this.
  3. RachelW

Thanks for replying! The backward pressure trick does keep the ticking going, but although I feel it moving, the ring does not seem to be in a different spot when I stop. I guess I'll have a little poke around inside when I get a chance. Thank you!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks right for 1966.

Debora

Figtree3, Boland and RachelW like this.
  5. RachelW

Thanks Debora!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The ring moves very slowly. It takes persistence to wind down the spring.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted