Kachina dolls from Native Indian Man

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by billyd3us, Feb 26, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I got 3 kachina dolls from a Native American Indian man having a yard sale to make money to move to his Mom's house in another state, due to illness.
    The biggest one measures 29", the sun face one measures 24" and made by Connie, and a small sun face 5".
    1990's the one from Connie, the other 2 I don't know. Any ideas on a value or anything.

Thanks

Billy D. 029.JPG 030.JPG 031.JPG 032.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, these are Navajo carved figures, not authentic kachina dolls.

Kachinas are spiritual figures from the Hopi and Zuni, and most Rio Grande Pueblo cultures. It is estimated that there are 500-600 different kachinas, each with a specific way they look, specific things they carry, and specific ways they act. They are not found in other Native American cultures.

The Hopi and Zuni carve representations (kachina dolls, or "tithu" to the Hopi) of these kachinas to teach their young girls what the different kachinas look like.
    Although it is still frowned upon by strict traditionalists, many Hopi, and a few Zuni, carve kachina dolls for sale.

The Navajo, since they do not believe in kachinas, make them strictly for sale, and usually make no attempt to depict any actual kachina accurately. They are usually complete fantasy pieces, designed to attract unsuspecting tourists. Some do have a certain folk art appeal, and if you buy them directly from the Navajo carvers, they often sell them just as "dolls" or "sculptures," to avoid the claims of cultural misappropriation. But they have flooded the market, especially on eBay, with their inexpensive versions of the real thing.

Aside from an inaccurate representation, the Navajo carvings usually feature extensive use of feathers, fur, and fabric or leather, not used on the authentic Hopi or Zuni kachina dolls.

They have "decorative" value only, little or no collectible value compared to Hopi kachina dolls.

3. billyd3us

dang, what a bummer...so $30 was to much to pay for an Indian artist ?

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'd rather not get involved in debating what could be considered an ethical/philosophical position in regards to what one should or should not buy, or the definition of "artist," or possible other implications. $30 was probably a fair market price, with a little room left for profit, if they're going to be resold.

5. billyd3us

I'm giving one to my neighbor across the street for his 63rd Birthday on March 2nd.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's nice of you !!!:)

7. billyd3us

Thanks komokwa, lots of people in my neighborhood say I am a very nice and loving person. I try to help out as many people as I can.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted