Featured Just visited Herend factory in Hungary

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sedona, Jul 28, 2024.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I just returned home from a trip to Hungary. My grandparents were born there, and came to the US before WWII. I was the only grandchild not to visit, so we did a huge family trip. Absolutely amazing!

I like ceramics, and wanted to visit one of the factories. My mother had a number of Kalocsca folk pieces when I was growing up, and she also got some Zsolnay and a Herend (student plate) in later travels. I wanted to visit one of the factories, and Herend was the closest to where we were.

It was very enjoyable and informative to see the assembly, piercing, hand painting etc. process. They had some incredibly beautiful and elaborate antique and vintage pieces. A ticket also gets you a free coffee at the Herend coffee bar, where you can drink from a Herend cup. My husband is not into ceramics like I am, and he tremendously enjoyed the tour. The Herend factory is worth a trip!

Herend makes the trophy for the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix. It was Princess Diana’s favorite porcelain maker, and they made a 45-piece dinner set as a wedding gift for Prince William and Kate Middleton.

I had to make these photos lower resolution so they would upload, so some of the details aren’t obvious.

IMG_8055.jpeg IMG_8057.jpeg IMG_8062.jpeg IMG_8069.jpeg IMG_8061.jpeg

2. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful and memorable trip. I would love to visit some day!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, thank you for showing us.

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the photos. Beautiful pieces to see..

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice! I know some potties who'd love to raid those cases.

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing

Potteryplease, Sedona and NewEngland like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely ! Sounds like a splendid trip.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Gorgeous photos. Sounds like an amazing trip!

I've been lucky enough to find a few Herend pieces over the years, all sold. I remember the nice quality they had. :)

Thanks for sharing!

NewEngland, Potteryplease and Sedona like this.
  10. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Those are great! Thanks for sharing!

NewEngland likes this.
  11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I, for one! Great stuff and thanks for sharing!

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Me too! Do you think they would gift me a full dinner set? Probably not, but then, I would be too afraid to use it. The biggest butt kicking I ever gave myself was when I sold a Gorgeous Herend cake plate that I purchased at auction for a mere $25. Why oh why? Happy for you to experience the tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted