Featured Juliana?? Weiss? Pink Rhinestone Butterfly Pin and Earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, May 18, 2023.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I’m posting 9 pieces/sets of jewelry today and will appreciate any and all information and opinions the jewelry experts wish to offer.. I paid $3.15 for this unsigned butterfly pin and matching earrings. I could only find 1 similar pin online in a different color. It was called Juliana/Weiss. All the other Juliana butterfly pins I saw looked different.
    JulianaButterfly-1.jpg JulianaButterfly-2.jpg JulianaButterfly-3.jpg JulianaButterfly-4.jpg
    I understand there are certain clues for identifying Juliana jewelry, such as a figure 8 puddling of solder, which I don’t see on this pin. The textured iridescent cabochons are also different than similar stones I saw on Juliana jewelry. Is there a name for the oval stones in this set? Do you think this set was made by Weiss for Juliana/D&E?

judy, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 4 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

There sure is some reasonably priced jewelry in Wisconsin.Do you get much original art back there ?

Joan likes this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Finding this set so cheap was kind of a shocker. The store has really upped their prices for other vintage jewelry and even most of their cheap newer jewelry is priced higher that this set.

Regarding original art, do you mean paintings, sculptures, etc. by known artists? If so I don't look at the art section in thrift stores because that's not my area of "expertise." I do, however, look at metal decorative items because I think I missed out several years ago on buying a small Bertoia wire spray sculpture in a Minnesota antique mall (not sure if that's the right description). It was only about 12-15" tall and priced at $20, but wasn't signed and I thought it probably wasn't authentic and I didn't really know about Bertoia, but had some vague memory of seeing something similar in a magazine. But then I read later that he was commissioned to design a sculpture for Southdale Mall in Edina, MN when it opened in 1956, and I thought maybe some of his small pieces were sold in the mall at that time....so now I always check out the decorative metal aisle in the Twin Cities thrift stores and even across the river here in Wisconsin hoping for a miracle.

I did buy a Curtis Jere metal Urchin wall sculpture for $19.99 at a MN thrift store 20 years ago (not knowing anything about Jere at the time), but I don't see anything along that line nowadays. I used to occasionally buy antique framed original etchings, water colors, etc. at estate sales in the Twin Cities (I live across the river in WI) to decorate my own home, but I stopped going to estate sales 10-15 years ago, so I don't know what they're like now. Do you ever check out estatesales.net for various cities to see what's available?

I just thought of something you might be interested in. Starting next month I'm going to be helping my sister sort through a house full of antiques that she's bought over 50 years at various farm auctions, antique malls, estate sales, etc. She stopped selling several years ago and her house is packed. She has some original art, but probably not known artists. I think she's going to be selling through one or two online auction companies that are on estatesales.net. People can bid online, but have to pick up in Wisconsin (the companies don't ship). Message me if you're interested in more details.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You mean the iridescent ones? Not sure...

5. bosko69

Shoot me some pics of the art,i'll help as much as i can.I've looked at lots and have a rudimentary sense of what i feel is good work,but it's just my opinion.A show i binged during the pandemic is 'Fake or Fortune' (British). Folks all over the world send in pics of promising mystery pieces wondering if they might have a lost Rubens,etc.If you're at all interested in the process of how a work goes from the attic or boot sale to being a 300K provenanced piece-the programs a hoot !

Joan likes this.
  6. bosko69

PS-Joan,we might start bidding on a few things on Invaluable or Icollector,but local pickup only items (ie:within 5-6 drive). With the 25% commission & shipping cost-blows yr budget otherwise.
    PSS-Saw a Curtis Jere 'Skyscraper' lamp w/ orig shade at a local Mall last week for $700-$800,damned imposing (& BIG) 70's piece-you'd need a large end table to support it !

Joan likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I never really got obsessed with the Juliana identification, so I'm no expert, but this does look like a well made piece and great that it has the matching earrings.

The back sort of looks like the figure 8 puddling to me...could be wrong. I have learned that a Juliana brooch must have what they call a "pin stop" and yours seems to have one, so that's another plus. But again, I'm not an expert, so wait for others.

I do not know a name for the textured iridescent glass cabochons. But some work in this as they hunted out that unusual glass for the set. Must have been some maker or another. You got these for a nice price!

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Yes, I should have said the iridescent ones. I have a pair of earrings and pendant with that same look, but in irregular shapes kind of like rocks.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

That is soooooo generous of you to look at photos of art that my sister and I will be unearthing. I suspect she won't have anything terribly valuable, but then she didn't use a computer to look up things back in the days when she was buying. I've heard about the Fake or Fortune program, but unfortunately we don't get it on our TV and don't have any of the streaming services.

10. bosko69

You might be able to watch 'Fake or Fortune' on YouTube. A really fine piece of art can change your life dramatically (financially at least-the spiritual's on Us ). I'm far from an expert-but hopefully i can help your journey.

Joan likes this.
  11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I looked online at the C. Jere Skyscraper lamp you mentioned--that's definitely imposing. 1stDibs has one that sold (the asking price of $4000 was crossed out, so who knows what it sold for), and the Chairish website has a pair listed for $3500 and a single lamp at $2000.

I checked out the two auction sites you mentioned. Is there a way to sort auction companies by state? One of the auction companies my sister may use is in St. Paul, MN, which wasn't listed on either of the sites, but I'm wondering if there are others in the Twin Cities area that are on Invaluable or Icollector. We could drive that far with a load of her best things...I guess I could search companies in the Twin Cities and then search for those names on the two websites. The other auction company that's just 30 minutes away said they get almost 30,000 views on some of their items, which seemed impressive, but maybe it's miniscule compared to views that auctions on Invaluable or Icollector get. I saw that Leslie Hindman is on Invaluable, and has an office in Milwaukee, so it might even be worth taking a few things there.

In any case, thank you again @bosko69, for your generous offer to help with identifications.

12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you for that tip bosko, I'll check it out. Here where I'm dogsitting at my son's home, the TV is too complicated for me to find my way around looking for something to watch, so I told him not to even bother giving me a tutorial, but I'll definitely check out YouTube. I've been listening to a lot of audio books, but it would be nice to have something interesting to "watch."

13. bosko69

On the Auction Sites,you might try seeing if there's a Mileage/Distance indicator-as in 'Search within 30 Mile/60 Mile/100 Mile Radius'.I think also Craigslist & Ebay allow you to search by Zipcode & Local Only parameters,other sites may also.
    Yes-definitely the more Hits (Views),the better !
    I listed trivial Items on 'old' Ebay years ago,& got some of the most amazing prices.Haven't sold on Ebay in years,and shipping now is madly expensive.

Joan likes this.
  14. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Icollector does have a map showing auction locations, but at the present time there aren't any in WI, and only one in far northern MN. I couldn't find any way in Invaluable to filter for distance. I'm a longtime eBay seller, but really don't want to list highly valuable, breakable, or difficult-to-package things for my sister....I sell mainly vintage clothing/accessories/jewelry (things that are unbreakable, relatively lightweight, and easy to package in my readily-available supply of boxes and envelopes). I may list a few things in those categories for my sister if I think they would be worth the time. I should add, that my sister will probably use an estate sale company after the auction to sell the garage sale stuff. The auction company will sell on consignment in their building, and also do online auctions in peoples' homes, but they don't accept "garage sale items."

Last edited: May 19, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Houseful, Joan and Figtree3 like this.
  16. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you @cxgirl, so you're saying the pin & earrings are not D&E, which I kind of suspected. I deactivated my fb account several years, but I'll assume it's not D&E. I guess I'm not too concerned about that since I didn't pay much for it, and think it will probably do okay eventually on eBay even without Juliana/D&E in the title.

cxgirl likes this.
  17. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

DeLizza & Elster made jewelry for other companies, I 'm not sure Weiss was among them. No company made jewelry FOR D& E. Lovely set!

cxgirl, Figtree3 and Joan like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

That is correct. They are beautiful, should sell well:)

They did make jewelry for Weiss - here is the list of who they made pieces for:)

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 8.00.53 AM.png

Figtree3 and Joan like this.
  19. bosko69

Man those low cheese head prices got me spinnin' !

Joan likes this.
  20. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, @cxgirl, for that information. I had no idea that D&E made jewelry for so many companies. I wonder if some Weiss pieces were unsigned. In any case, I copied the list image so I can make a list of jewelry in my stash that could have been made by D&E.

Draft saved Draft deleted