Joseph of Copertino exodus 19:4

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Aug 21, 2024.

1. I came upon this metal from 1941 as it could only find it in the Smithsonian. There is no information beyond that to explain why this was given or what it represents. If anyone could help me, I would appreciate that. It’s Joseph on eagles wings

Attached Files:

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It should be I BEAR YOU, not I BARE YOU.

wlwhittier, sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know what the medal is for. All I can tell you is that it represents Joseph of Cupertino, a Franciscan friar who was mentally challenged, possibly through childhood neglect. He is said to have been a mystic and he performed miracles.
    He claimed to be able to fly, but it is believed that his flights/levitations were more like very good jumps.;) Eyewitness accounts all date from after his death.
    Since levitation was considered a heresy, his claims didn't go down well with the Inquisition, and in the end he was confined to his monastery cell.
    Years after his death he was canonised, which means he is a Catholic saint.
    There is a theory that both Joseph and his witnesses had eaten ergot-ridden rye bread, not unusual at the time. Maybe the hallucinations from ergotism made him throw of his clothes.:playful:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

"Saint Joseph of Cupertino [Copertino] is the patron saint of pilots, Air Force, flying and students with learning disabilities."
    https://www.patronsaintmedals.com/st-joseph-cupertino-medals/

The quotation of Exodus 19:4 is taken from the King James version of the Bible, which uses the "bare" spelling. "Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself."

The same quote is used on a memorial window for a pilot killed in WWI -

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41234

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you for the correction. Without the rest of the line, I was reading it as being in the present tense.

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Oops...

Bronwen likes this.
  8. I have read all about him, but and understood it was a medal during the war, but learning the attribute is awesome. Thanks so much

Figtree3, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted