John Wilkes Booth Resemblance

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by KosmoCramer, Feb 27, 2023.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

Picked up this old photo card for a few dollars. I don’t really collect photos but I thought the man in the photo shared a strong resemblance to John Wilkes Booth so I bought it.

what do you all think? Ears, and hair line look almost identical. Funny as well the address on the card (230 court street) is a few blocks walk from the Brooklyn academy of music where he played in 1863.

E8891116-39D3-4F3A-A34F-629AEB2EF21C.jpeg 466D255C-5A3F-4DDB-88AE-F0B44BF6C697.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

To me, the eyes and nose don't closely resemble those of John Wilkes Booth. Also, in photos, Booth's neck looks longer.

[Edit] Another factor is the photographer, and the nature of the card stock. Early cartes de visite, up until the late 1860s, had square corners. This one appears to have round corners. This Taylor, apparently, is found online in Brooklyn directories in the early 1870s. A deeper search could be done to find more specific information. I think the nature of the card stock, though, is not right for early to mid 1860s. As you know, Booth died in 1865.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  3. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

thanks for the information on shapes of card stock! Very good to know. I was thinking the same thing about the eyes being different as well, but figured for $3 it was worth the chance to bring it home and look further lol

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's Booth... but there is a resemblance.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I would say that Booth really had a FAVORITE pose and "look" for the camera, IMHO!!!!:happy::happy: Just a comparison gathering with OP's image!!

Booth vs unkwn.jpg

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted