John Rose plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Just picked this up. It says John Rose on the back so I guess it is. Not found anything too similar yet. I've always associated him with fine beautifully decorated tea cups whereas this is relatively plain. Interesting piece though.

IMG20240316135452_copy_968x1291.jpg IMG20240316135458_copy_1103x1471.jpg IMG20240316135513_copy_1296x1728.jpg IMG20240316135519_copy_1365x1820.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

John Rose appears to be listed under Coalport.

johnnycb09 and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

You mean the mark or the pottery? John Rose worked for Coalport turn he left and started his own pottery.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When searching online for John Rose china, it was all listed as under Coalport.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Ah okay. There is a strong link between the two and may well have been one entity at some point. Not sure if there was a split or merger but something along those lines. Not sure of all the ins and outs but someone here will know.

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

John Rose started Coalport (and Caughley). The company was John Rose & Co - Coalport China. Coalbrookdale was the location. JR&Co was one of the many marks used for the same factory. That plate would be 2nd quarter 19th century.

kentworld, Chinoiserie and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Thanks for clarification

Draft saved Draft deleted