John Frances Waller, Unpublished Poem?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by rhiwfield, Oct 28, 2021.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Found in a treasure trove of mainly 19thC ephemera (99.9% genuine) bought in 2017, this has languished in a file for the last 4 years. I don't think that I have mentioned this before on Antiquers, if I have I apologise, my memory is not what it used to be! As far as I can tell the poem is unpublished.

In an attempt to verify the originality of the poem I wrote to the National Library of Ireland who only seemed interested in obtaining money for a copy of Waller's signature, not that it might be an original work of his.

I think I also wrote to Whytes auctioneers but as I cant find the emails I may do this again, I recall they were quick to respond to me on another matter.

Any views on whether it is genuine or ever published?

Is P1270134.JPG P1270135.JPG

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interestingly those signatures don't match. You'd need to find a Waller scholar, I'd think. Perhaps this fellow could direct you. He's recently-ish written about Waller and his association with Dublin University Magazine.

Wayne E. Hall, Dialogues in the margin: a study of the Dublin University Magazine (2000).

Debora

4. rhiwfield

Sabre, thanks for that. Debora, I agree, they don't match. So you're right that I would have to go to a reliable source to compare.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It could well be a transcription. Not meant to deceive but a copy to be enjoyed and shared.

Debora

rhiwfield likes this.
  6. rhiwfield

I haven't been able (yet!) to find a match for my poem. I think a transcription, such as one might find in late Victorian/Edwardian autograph books, would only apply if the poem had been published.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

He was quite prolific. May be out there (published) somewhere.

Debora

8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

You could probably contact the place that I referenced above if you can't find an answer elsewhere.

From his site:
    With over forty years experience in the antiquarian book and manuscript trade, Julian Browning Ltd specializes in the sale of autograph letters, historical documents and manuscripts dating from about 1450 to 1950.

All historical autographs, letters and documents are researched and authenticated with care, described accurately, and priced fairly. We sell to collectors, trade buyers and to many university and national libraries. We welcome your enquiries. We are members of the Professional Autograph Dealers Association [PADA].

Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found that the author of that book was a professor at the University of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA). He is currently still listed in their directory as a professor with Emeritus status. As you may know, this means he has retired from full-time teaching but is still affiliated with the university and has an email address there.

I found a research page with vita that appears to have been created a while ago, since the most recent date is 2011: https://researchdirectory.uc.edu/p/hallwe

That page includes an email link. It appears to go to a different email address than the one that is listed in their online faculty/staff directory. It's possible that it would redirect to the correct address, though. Current contact info in bottom part of this page: https://ucdirectory.uc.edu/FacultyS...hFS&ID={00350042-0042-0044-3200-390032004300}

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    rhiwfield, pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted