Featured Joel Beckwith print - who are these characters?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 5, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Joel Beckwith print a week or so ago at a local thrift store. Goigling him I found many works by him usually using a person in an unusual scene or wardrobe.
    Many of them seem familiar, but drawn as a character, and they are pretty funny.
    I tried doing an image search of mine and found one titld Wizard but it wasn't the same as mine.
    Can anyone tell me about mine?
    Are the characters in mine based on real people?
    Any info would be helpful since i cant find anything!
    Thank you!

20240605_155129.jpg 20240605_155057.jpg 20240605_154932.jpg 20240605_154946.jpg

20240605_155021.jpg 20240605_155037.jpg 20240605_155007.jpg

20240605_155246.jpg 20240605_155150.jpg

mirana, ulilwitch, Marote and 4 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I love weird and quirky and this qualifies in spades. :)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Before I saw the title I was thinking it was an illustration for A Confederacy of Dunces.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Art Hound

Art Hound New Member

Pursuit of Truth.jpg Interesting to stumble across this today. I am Joel's wife, and am in the process of writing his obituary today. Your post and question did my heart good. I love knowing that his work is still out in the world and bringing pleasure!

Joel had several themes that went through his work. The Wizard theme is one that he returned to often. Joel viewed "Wizards" as universal know-it-alls or self-important experts, each viewer may interpret this as they will. The comment "Confederacy of Dunces" is exactly on target.

This etching dates from the early 1980s, while we still lived in Arlington, VT.

A much later wizard image is attached. This is a hand-colored etching with gold-leaf and graces my living room today. "Search for Truth" continues the pursuit of the know-it-alls in an increasingly distracting world. I love the guy with the bow tie.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How kind of you, @Art Hound, to share this information with us at what must be a very difficult time for you.

Debora

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

My condolences. Thank you for sharing more about Joel's work and themes. I love his line work and all the detail.

8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I love the color addition!!

Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted