JFK Rocking Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Zk1997, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Zk1997

Zk1997 New Member

I recently inherited a JFK Rocking chair from my great aunt. It was made after my grandmother sent a message and materials to the man that made the original rocking chair. It has all of the original documentation with it, as well as the cushions. I've been trying to find information on it, but have been coming up short. I could never sell it, but I'd like to have an idea what it is worth. Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    This will be difficult but others will be along to help.
    We'd like to see it please!
    Here's what works best for me to post photos. >

~

Make your photos 480x640.

~

After your comments are complete drop down a line.

~

Put a squiggle > ~

~

Drop down a line.

~

Load all your photos, 10 max.

~

At the top of your photo pile there's an option to enlarge them all. (Full Image)

~

Enlarge them.

~

Thank you!

cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Zk1997

Zk1997 New Member

I actually do not have access to the chair as of right now, because her estate is still in the process of being settled. I will upload pictures as soon as I can, but for right now I can give a fairly accurate description and post some pictures that are similar. It resembles these chairs, in that it has the beveled texture under the arm-rests. It is in near perfect condition other than some usual wear and tear from use. The cushions resemble the brown ones in the picture exactly, except they are green instead of brown. As soon as the rocker is in my possetion I will post pictures, and the information in the documents. Thanks for your help!
    ~
    952537a9.jpg
    ~
    cushion.png
    ~
    c850963b138160280a3de5685d526654.jpg ~

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I remember these being widely available and I am sure there are a lot of them out there. The label and paperwork was part of the hype of them being "collectible". As with most such "collectible" items, the large supply makes them not really as collectible as one might hope.

Here is one that sold for $295.00 + shipping if needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KENNEDY-PRESIDENTIAL-ROCKER-OAK-WOOD-/121982508141?hash=item1c66b95c6d:g:6DgAAOSw3mpXMdrp&nma=true&si=QdY5zTB6Kj9wwRguzBMPQ65sLH0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here is one that sold for $90.00.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4895279_woven-seat-and-back-kennedy-rocking-chair-with

This one had an opening bid of $300.00 but received no bids and failed to sell.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6294612_kennedy-caned-rocking-chair

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

6. verybrad

The bottom line is that it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. In the case of the $800.00 chair, at least two people really wanted it. In the other instances, not so much. I would expect the $800.00 price to be the outlier with the actual value, in most cases, being much lower.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Zk1997

Zk1997 New Member

Thanks a lot everyone! You've all been a lot of help.

8. drawmaster

drawmaster New Member

We visited the Kennedy compound and museum when we visited Kennebunket on a visit when we were in Boston. I sat in the chair they said was in the Kennedy Oval office so what is the one you purpose as his?
    jeasson6@cogeco.ca

9. Zk1997

Zk1997 New Member

I am sorry you misunderstood. I never mean to say that I had inherited 'The' Kennedy Rocker, simply one that was made by the same company that made Kennedy's famous rocking chair. I am sorry for the misunderstanding and any disturbance it may have caused you.

10. verybrad

Draft saved Draft deleted