Featured Jewelry I inherited

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by skyshark, Apr 19, 2024.

1. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

I have most of my items organized and photographed now... It's been a tedious year.

Here are some of my favorite jewelry pieces I found. I hope ya'll like them too!

20240323_221844.jpg 20240321_143631.jpg 20240324_082110.jpg 20240324_082530.jpg 20240324_083004.jpg 20240321_110855.jpg 20240323_215351.jpg 20240323_215635.jpg 20240326_142440.jpg 20240326_134625.jpg

2. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

3. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya had me with the 1st necklace...........that's sweet !!!!!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Lol thanks bro. Not even all of em... but some really cool unique stuff you NEVER see here in NC lol.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    komokwa likes this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Love the ancient looking intaglio rings. I don’t know if they’re authentic or not but I get a huge kick out if very old jewelry. I’ve bought a few bits described as Roman and Celtic. I actually went nuts and bid on bunch of Celtic and Viking gold and silver bits for my birthday many years ago. Very established eBay seller in UK with tons of great feedback. Paid and never heard back or got items. Turned out same happened go lots of people since there were hundreds of items ending at same time. Feedback on the account after that wondered if the seller had died or been incapacitated. I guess that’s bound to happen from time to time. Anywho, nice jewelry!

kyratango, skyshark and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cute pieces, most, if not all, from Afghanistan. Looks like your father loved the style, and many people do.

The first one is a necklace many of us have, the classic Pashtun or Kuchi lapis lazuli necklace. Many were made as souvenirs or for export.
    A similar one
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1135016743/kuchi-ketting-in-natuurlijke-lapis?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=afghan+niello+brass+tribal+necklace&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&pro=1&frs=1&cns=1&content_source=ade9f27c0a19bac0628a325d9bc88186086144ef%3A1135016743&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

The ring with the hare intaglio is also Afghan. The stone is carnelian or carnelian glass. These rings are traditional, but many are made for export and souvenirs.
    The bangle with the bells is also one of those popular Kuchi pieces. The Boho crowd loves these.
    The brass ring(?) with the coloured glass inlay is missing a few bell dangles from the loop. It is also Kuchi.
    Kuchi jewellery is the type of ethnic jewellery we see most of. It has been part of the export economy of Afghanistan since the Hippie era. It is very attractive, but rarely of interest to collectors.

The brass with niello jewellery is also Afghan, and also exported a lot. Some pieces in the same style:
    https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/681665874/vintage-niello-nomaden-ketting-met-rode?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=niello+brass+tribal+necklace&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&sts=1&content_source=da6234def8941627aa01fefbb42e027f349872f1%3A681665874&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/1611468988/afghaanse-niello-hanger-hoofdtooi-312237?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=niello+brass+tribal+necklace&ref=sr_gallery-1-11&sts=1&content_source=ab10d53c8c8ac814f3b4880203a9644beac5121c%3A1611468988&search_preloaded_img=1&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/nl/listing/601189762/afghaanse-niello-armband-met-scharnier?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=niello+brass+tribal+necklace&ref=sr_gallery-1-32&sts=1&content_source=547c60622b34757643bed5e35990cc3116e1ad2d%3A601189762&organic_search_click=1

For me the silver ring with the griffin intaglio is the most interesting of the lot. It is one of those things that could be Afghan, but could also be European. The intaglio is nicely carved.

The ring with the Islamic script is Afghan. It doesn't seem to be in very good condition, but maybe more photos will help.

The ancient looking rings are not my area of expertise, They should be looked at by an expert. Bear in mind that, as always, most ancient looking jewellery is fake. I have a suspicion that is the case here, especially since nearly all other jewellery is from Afghanistan. There is an Afghan fakes industry.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
  8. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. 808 raver

Sorry don't know what happened there. Wow Any, what an answer.

10. Any Jewelry

Ethnic jewellery is one of my loves and I have a vast collection. So I usually know what an ethnic piece is.;)

11. 808 raver

I don't ever buy jewellery let alone ethnic jewellery but the other day I took a punt on some very cheap jewellery, only because the seller had quite expensive antiques (that I didn't win) that were miss-labelled and in the wrong category up for very low starting prices.
    Now I'm sure these 2 pieces aren't anything good but I know less than nothing about jewellery so I wonder if you could tell me your thoughts? Please be brutal if they are nothing as I only paid £15 including P&P
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395325828570

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Your responses are amazing, thank you!

I agree the griffin is the standout. It's quite unique.. A griffin holding a sword into the air.. Old or not I LOVE IT. The griffin head in my opinion is the Persian Griffin. Most of the features are almost identical.

I also have a Rampant lion ring you might like.

Also some random intaglio with writing that is fading.

20240321_110627.jpg IMG00102.jpg 20240321_111003.jpg 20240321_111116.jpg 20240321_143144.jpg

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I wouldn't go that far, but it is certainly a beauty.;)
    It is probably the best piece of the lot, I like it too.
    You can find the same griffin head in Europe. There has always been a lot of contact between Persia and Europe, both through trade and art.

And for a long time Afghanistan was Greek and Persian, so you can find it there as well. They still have a largely Persian culture, have the same Farsi script, and Dari Persian, an Afghan version of Persian, is spoken or understood by many Afghans.
    The setting looks German Art Deco. Does it have any silvermarks?
    It has the name of Allah, only it is upside down.;)

komokwa and mirana like this.
  14. skyshark

skyshark Active Member

Lol, I hope I didn't disrespect Allah with that. Thanks I didn't know.

On the Rampant there are no markings. I also don't know if it's silver I have not tested it.

Wherever the griffin may be from, your knowledge on culture is impressive, it is my favorite creature. I wouldn't mind being reincarnated as one :p. I actually made a picture using AI like a year ago of me and my daughter as griffins, but a griffin that is an owl and tiger mix.

15. Any Jewelry

I'm sure that is a good price, it looks to have quality.
    I must confess I know very little about costume jewellery or modern jewellery. My interest is more ethnic and period jewellery, preferably silver or gold.
    Why don't you post the set on the jewellery forum, we have some very knowledgeable costume 'joolies' as well.

komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

He has been through worse.;)
    Perfect ring for you then.:)

komokwa likes this.
  17. 808 raver

Is it just costume jewellery? Lol and that's why my wife said "what are you doing?" First and last time I buy something based on the seller not knowing what they had lol. Well you win some and you lose some, thank you for letting me know, my wife will be pleased, she is forever saying "what did you buy that for" and later I'm showing her the item being priced for far more than I bought it for. Now I won't hear the last of it, she will be saying "remember that jewellery you bought, you can't be trusted" lol

18. Any Jewelry

:joyful:
    Some costume jewellery is valuable, so post it in the Jewelry Forum anyway and let's wait what the others say.:)

808 raver and komokwa like this.
  19. 808 raver

As soon as they come I'll post them up in the Jewellery Forum so members (who know better) can have a chuckle :) Thanks again.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted