jewelry boxes --high end vs cheap. Any thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by antique85, Sep 3, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you for reading my post. Any thoughts you have about jewelry boxes would be appreciated.
    I am trying to improve my storage solution, because some pieces have gotten jumbled and damaged. I am thinking of getting a jewelry box. There are lots of inexpensive new jewelry boxes for $30 online see attached. The high end ones are over $100, and some are made of faux leather, mdf or solid wood (very expensive), leather and other things. However, some used high-end ones are reasonably priced on ebay.

delete jewelry box.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm more the clear craft box type. Keeps things in their lanes and you can see everything. They're no good for neck rings and the like, but are great for earrings, necklaces etc.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see jewelry boxes of every size shape and variety in thrift stores all day long. Ive also seen jewelry cabinets several times. They are never very expensive either. Just a thought. :)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is this a box for your personal use? To hold your own jewelry? And, if so, is your jewelry costume or fine?

Debora

antique85 likes this.
  5. antique85

Hi! Personal use. I would be interested in one fine jewelry and one for costume. Thank you.

Xristina likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well then, my suggestion is.... Invest in jewelry boxes that please you visually and best serve your organizational needs. Typically they're a once in a lifetime purchase and are passed down to the next generation. Buy the best you can afford. (But as with anything, newer doesn't mean better quality so don't rule out pre-owned boxes.) JMHO.

Debora

7. evelyb30

Pick some you like and that hold what you need them to. I have one of those armoires, but it's too small for my hoard.

Xristina and antique85 like this.
  8. antique85

Your post reminded me of something I learned. You said invest in jewelry boxes that "best serve your organizational needs." This is very true: I bought a really nice new jewelry box on ebay that was divided in half with compartments on each side. I was planning on putting necklaces in it, but after I got it, I realized that the smaller compartments did not work for laying the necklaces flat. (I did use it for other smaller jewelry.) And I realized what worked better for necklaces was a jewelry box with 3 full size drawers.
    Before I make another purchase, I plan on paying close attention to what I am going to store because the design of jewelry boxes can be quite different.

Xristina likes this.
  9. antique85

OMG I am so jealous!! I have seen pictures of those 3 foot high jewelry armoires and they look beautiful and seem really helpful for staying organized and being able to see everything.

Xristina likes this.
  10. antique85

I probably should not admit this because I have feeling it is not a good idea. But have those little steel jewelry hanger things, and I hang my inexpensive costume necklaces on them--only the lightweight ones. I wonder where do people put all their necklaces? One necklace can take up a whole drawer in a regular jewelry box.

Xristina likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Will you want to put your jewelry boxes in an out of sight location when you leave the house for long periods? If so, size may be a consideration.

Debora

antique85 likes this.
  12. antique85

Yes. That is why the measurements are very important to me.

13. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

it is very important that the size of the box is indicated. They look large in photographs, but in fact they are miniature.

antique85 likes this.
  14. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Something else to think about; some of the newer jewelry boxes are lined with anti-tarnish material, which I find very helpful as I have a great deal of sterling and 18 kt gold over sterling, and even a few nice copper pieces.

For my own use, I repurposed a 5 foot tall lingerie chest. The top section looks like 2 drawers, but is actually a cabinet rather than a drawer, so I put several of the necklace boards like this [​IMG] https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHYRJ7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    with stands on the back and a sheet of anti-tarnish cloth over it. Keeps fine chains of gold or silver, straight and clean of dust or tarnish. In the drawers, I placed divided cases with clear tops, so I can see in. Each drawer holds 2, and each of the spaces is lined with anti-tarnish cloth I purchased and put in there. [​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-City-Jewelry-Organizer-case(Gray-24/dp/B07NP282V3/ref=pd_di_sccai_8/131-1823821-7058712?pd_rd_w=9tH98&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=QPZBCE29YGRHXRH2A7W7&pd_rd_r=68ab0379-1694-4d05-b8b9-769687003567&pd_rd_wg=yhANv&pd_rd_i=B07NP282V3&psc=1
    This keeps my heirloom pieces and my fun pieces all safe from damage or tarnish and ready to wear. And if I decide to sell any, the individual cases are easy to pull out, rearrange and can even use them for display.
    My M-I-L recently passed and left me with even more to find room for, so after I go through all that, I'll have to do a "pass-me-down" to the kids and anything they don't want, I'll have to sell.

Of course, the nicer earrings have their cases, but this doesn't even count my fun earrings. They are in a couple of the fun ones that hang on the wall. LOL I really will have to get rid of some soon!

Aznathalie, bercrystal and antique85 like this.
  15. antique85

Thank you very much for taking the time to share these great ideas for storing jewelry. I appreciate your sharing detailed information and the links to items, so I can buy them. I have a lot of necklaces, so I especially like the idea of the necklace boards and covering them with an anti-tarnish cloth. I also like the idea divided box with a clear top so I can see everything--which would be really helpful. All these storage solutions are really useful, and ones I would never thought of--so thanks so much. :happy:

DizzyDaff likes this.
  16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Some folks are also using flatware boxes to store sterling silver jewelry as it is usually lined with anti-tarnish cloth. There are usually some at local thrifts around here. I have a feeling they end up there after people scrap the flatware.

CatEyes and antique85 like this.
  17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When my apartment was burglarized I ruefully realized how easy my beautiful handmade, 5 drawer jewellery chest had made it for the thief to find good stuff quickly. My best stuff is now stashed away in places fairly easy for me to get to but that would take a burglar more time than he wants to spend to find it. I have an absurd amount of artisan made stuff that is not gold, plenty enough to fill up that chest. I have another box that is designed specifically for earrings, more crafts person stuff. I don't worry about the cameos, other than the ones that are in fancy settings. You can't melt down cameos.

Any Jewelry and antique85 like this.
  18. evelyb30

Or tossed it out after finding out that International Silver is International Silverplate.

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  19. antique85

I have the same concern and limited space, so everything has to go in medium-sized boxes. I prefer boxes with some sort of closure, so I am sure they don't open when I am moving them. In a post above "Dizzydaff" posted a link to useful and highly rated display stands that hold 17 necklaces:
    "https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHYRJ7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1"
    I really really like these, but they are designed to be upright and I don't have room for that, but perhaps I could put the display in a box.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    DizzyDaff and Bronwen like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted