Jesus on fabric is it a print or hand done and what is technique?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

j9.JPG Hi, I know this isn't high art but it does have a way of grabbing your attention. It is an image of Jesus on the cross on fabric but I'm not sure if it is a print or was somehow hand done. I will appreciate any help or answers.

j2.JPG j4.JPG j8.JPG j5.JPG j7.JPG

Attached Files:

• j6.JPG
      j6.JPG
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some sort of screen print?

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be. This is naive art, and not badly made. I wonder if it was actually painted rather than printed?

2manybooks likes this.
  4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I think painted too. The part in the yellow where the other colors are bleeding would be tough to intentionally do with a print.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

From your photos, I don't see any reason to think the image is a print. It looks more like a painting, perhaps with an inexpensive water based paint such as tempera/poster paint, evidenced by the way the fabric has cockled toward the center where the heaviest paint layers are.

Any Jewelry and Lithographer like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hmmm - could we have a paint by number here? That would fit with the thin paint and how "rigid" the image is.

7. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I'm curious to take the back off to see what's underneath but I'm afraid I will cause some damage. To me it looks like the wavy lines are painted or printed and not from paint drying on the fabric and my first thought is they depict energy radiating outward. I am still going back and forth on if it is a print or not. I don't think it is paint by number either because the transitions are so gradual in some places. Any Jewelry had me searching naive art and I think that fits and some aspects of it do show some talent from the creator.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted