Jesse James Look-a-Like Tintype...

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mr2real, Oct 21, 2014.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I found this tintype in North Central Arkansas a couple of years ago. I personally think that it looks very much like a young Jesse James. The eyes, nose, shape of the mouth, jaw structure, etc. It's hard to see the ears on my photo, but they do appear to stick out on the right side. I've heard opinions that it is Jesse James, to there is no way it is Jesse James. Now, I want your opinion.

Also, there is local connections with the James Brothers in this area. Fairly recently, I read an article in our local newspaper about Frank James. Frank James was a school teacher for 3 years in Calico Rock, Ark, which is about 40 miles from where this photo was found. Also, a friend of mine, who owns a historical mill, claims that Jesse James's uncle (Jordon James) previously owned the mill. Here is the mill - http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/_search_nomination_popup.aspx?id=1539 . I've traced Jordon James to the 27th Arkansas Infantry during the Civil War. The current mill owner (Lytle Family) claims that the James Brother had been several occasions (she heard this from her parents and grandparents).

I know it's a long shot of this being Jesse. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Joe

IMG_3987.JPG IMG_3990.JPG
    Here's a side-by-side comparison with other Jesse James photos.
    james photo.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Am I mistaken or did you have this on the ebay board awhile back?

3. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Yes, I've had it on several boards months ago. I haven't gotten much responses on other boards. Some people don't see much resemblance while others do. Here's a previous post - http://www.americancivilwarforum.com/jesse-james-tintype...-26141.html .

I inquired about an auction estimate from Heritage Auctions. They should be able to definitively say, yes or no.

Maybe this should be a poll?

4. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Attached Files:

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know I thought it looks believable but then I don't know a thing about how you really can tell.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

The top,right pic sure looks like an older version of your pic.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think he looks more like Frank than Jesse.

8. Dennis Vogt

Dennis Vogt Member

Very interesting image......You might send a copy to the Gene Autry Museum her in Los Angels ( 4700 Western Heritage Way (Zoo Drive), in Griffith Park. Los Angeles, CA. / (323) 667-2000) and get an opinion...I think the photo resembles Frank more myself...there does seem to be a resemblance, to me at least! Hey, an alternate Billy the Kid tintype just surfaced not that long ago, and there was a tintype of Doc Holliday found in a car trunk some years ago, so it can happen!!!! Might be a longshot, but sometimes longshots pay off! GOOD LUCK!

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

All the above pics carry that same pensive look.

10. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Heritage Auctions says it is not Jesse. I didn't say anything about Frank. I'll have to make a few copies to send out.

11. Minnie1914

Minnie1914 New Member

This looks very much like Frank.

Draft saved Draft deleted