Featured Jasperware Cheese Dome and stand

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BrummyMum, Feb 19, 2023.

1. BrummyMum

BrummyMum New Member

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone might be able to help please?
    We have a Jasperware (?) Cheese Dome and stand in the family and would like to know more about it, including its possible value.
    It does not seem to have any marks except an ‘X’ written inside the lid, so I assume not Wedgewood? I have spent a little time googling to find a similar one, but have been unsuccessful.
    I wonder if anyone might have any ideas please? Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Brummymum!

Welcome to Antiquers.............

I can't help, but others will be along soon..................:cat:

BrummyMum likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers. I had to look up Brummy!

BrummyMum likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree with the possibility of Dudson. This is page 117 of “A Pottery Panorama, Dudson Bicentenary 1800-2000” by Audrey M Dudson. It doesn’t show your particular pattern but note the acorn finial on the item pictured in plate 102 (as well as in photos in the link @janetpjohn shared).
    Dudson often didn’t mark their earlier wares.

EDITing to add: Dudson holds a place close to my heart. I was actually in their museum shop on 4 April 2019, having my purchases rung up, when the cashier's phone rang and she answered the call. A shocked look came over her and she hung up, telling me that they'd just gone into administration and she was supposed to close up the shop. She did, however, agree to ring up my items: a Dudson souvenir mug (which I broke later that day!) and a Dudson bottle-kiln-shaped votive candle holder, which I treasure.

5BE008F1-9E19-4029-BFD3-2EF0CEBA0ED8.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  6. BrummyMum

BrummyMum New Member

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and helpful replies. So it might be Dudson? It would be exciting to find that was the case! I am assuming because of the little spots in the paintwork that it won’t be worth much, but it’d still be nice to know. Do you think it’s probably late 19th century, looking at the other examples on the page that @bluumz has kindly posted?

And, yes, @Lark, I’m originally from Birmingham- many moons ago!

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS @BrummyMum!!! Loving that color on your piece!!! We don't generally do outright pricing on pieces, but we DO try to show and give links to places where you may find your piece or very similar, when we can!!! Others may continue to chime in!!! I think you'll enjoy it here!!

BrummyMum likes this.
  8. BrummyMum

BrummyMum New Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's Dudson. It's typical.

Not a yam yam, then? ;)

BrummyMum likes this.
  10. BrummyMum

BrummyMum New Member

:joyful:
    Yam yam roots on my mum’s side but born in Brum. Yowm not yam yam am yow?

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Love your cheese dome! The texture of the leaves is just wonderful and so natural!

BrummyMum likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nah, Norf Lunnon, me!

Had a Brummie colleague who was most insulted when I asked if he was a yam yam.... I did it deliberately. ;)

BrummyMum likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted