Japanese woodblock print help

Discussion in 'Art' started by samuelcaulfield1, Mar 19, 2022.

1. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Can anyone date this? I can see that it is Hokuji by a reverse image search but is this an antique print or a modern thing?

4AFE1C86-1F49-44A4-A180-70C0EF34F9CC.jpeg 78B31C24-A699-410E-A9E7-D4A807AFEF2E.jpeg 0BE12D41-56A7-4556-8B12-4CA41905464F.jpeg 71D21849-C3B7-4C4E-B775-2281DCC05E0B.jpeg C7F6558D-7A7B-4DEB-BC8C-079CDB5EB517.jpeg

many thanks!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The artist was Shotei Hokuju.

I will quote myself from a recent thread on another Japanese woodblock print:
    "Dating such prints is difficult. There may have been many reprint editions, using the original blocks, reworked blocks, or copy blocks, as well as more modern reproductions. If you can recognize traditional Japanese paper, that would be a start."
    (https://www.antiquers.com/threads/hiroshiga-print.69534/#post-4425790)

Examine it with a magnifier, to make sure there are none of the characteristics of modern halftone reproduction (variations of dot matrix). Other types of modern printing can be more difficult to distinguish.

There do not seem to be a lot of examples of this image on ukiyo-e.org for comparison. https://ukiyo-e.org/image/mfa/sc223893
    But an original Japanese woodblock print (of any iteration) should be in one of the standard sizes, which are explained here:
    https://www.roningallery.com/blog/decoding-ukiyo-e-standard-sizes-2

3. samuelcaulfield1

Thanks a lot!! Very helpful:happy::happy::happy:

4. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

5. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

To the extent that I could expand your image, it looks like a woodblock print to me. I couldn’t tell if it was original or recut blocks. The paper looks like modern paper to me. I would guess 1950’s. It is nice and keep it out of direct sun the colors will fade.

samuelcaulfield1 and 2manybooks like this.
  6. samuelcaulfield1

Thank you. They wanted $150 for it at the thrift so I left it because I didn’t know what it was exactly..

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u sure that was a thrift store????
    :playful::playful::playful:

samuelcaulfield1 likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

One of our local thrifts is getting expensive also :(

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

folks will buy less...prices will come down.....
    or those thrifts.......will become antique stores......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Good thing you didn’t get it, you would never get your money back at that price.

Draft saved Draft deleted