Japanese Vase Identification Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RayRay, Jul 3, 2017.

1. RayRay

RayRay New Member

Hello,
    I was hoping someone might recognise the marks on this vase. I'm told it might be Satsuma. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

3. RayRay

RayRay New Member

I can't upload them, they are too big apparently. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust them. Sorry!

4. RayRay

RayRay New Member

Attached Files:

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Try to right click on the unopened picture and select the edit option. Then select resize. Use the pixel option to adjust the size. I usually use 480 x 853. Then save and drag the photo.
    Don

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It would help to see a photo of the vase in addition to the shot of the mark.
    Don

7. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like a Chinese mark. Have you looked at the marks at gotheborg.com?

8. RayRay

RayRay New Member

Haha I'm new to this, sorry.

Attached Files:

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello RayRay, I see you managed to upload a picture. Yes, it looks like Satsuma.
    But we'd like to see still more, of the rest of the vase.
    And please select the 'full image' option.

ritzyvintage likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

No problem, RayRay and welcome to the board! I agree with kraftblue. The mark does indeed look Chinese.
    Don

ritzyvintage likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

dgbjwc and ritzyvintage like this.
  12. RayRay

RayRay New Member

Thank you all!
    I'll take some more pictures so you can see the whole thing.
    I've looked on the Gotham page and there are ones that contain some of the marks, but not all of them together. Does this mean it's probably a fake?

13. RayRay

RayRay New Member

ritzyvintage and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

And a bonus:) (others may want to see it):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. RayRay

RayRay New Member

Thank you! Super helpful

16. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

That second character isn't 志 zhi. It's 治 zhi. So we have 明治 Mingzhi, reading Meiji in Japanese. As in Emperor Meiji and the period named for him.

This misreading seems to have well propagated itself on the web.

Based on what I've seen of other items with this mark, I suspect this piece is circa 1990s so-called Chinese Satsuma.

aaroncab, kentworld, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

That's the way it goes. But we have you, you're a gem.

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Satsuma, but that's not an old piece. I wouldn't call it a fake per se; the Chinese make a lot of pieces, always have, that are an homage to earlier makers. This is just a nice modern copy of a much older piece; that decoration doesn't look like anyone was attempting a "real fake".

19. Any Jewelry

I agree, it does not look antique, and it has that sweetish face. But since most Japanese porcelain is not to my taste, I never really look closely at it, so I leave any comments on age or execution up to others.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  20. RayRay

RayRay New Member

So, it was probably made in China in the 90s in homage to earlier Japanese styles?
    Thanks all, by the way. I think it's so pretty so it doesn't matter to me where or when it was made, I just feel silly knowing anything about it!

Draft saved Draft deleted