Featured Japanese Teapot-Can you help w/ glaze & ID the mark ? Any opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Jun 4, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a little ( 7" long by 2 3/4" high) teapot. It has a 'swirl' glaze and is marked just below the hollow handle (see pics). Any feedback on this piece is most welcome.Thanks-Bosko Tpot1.jpg Tpot2.jpg Tpot3.jpg Tpot4.jpg Tpot5.jpg

judy, wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  2. bosko69

Hopefully you can make out the mark,if not i will re-post a clearer pic (if my phone can do it).

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Agate ware, I'd guess it's called.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

5. bosko69

You guys nailed it ! Hilda Tosen /Agateware/Nerikomi Teapot-thanks so much.

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  7. bosko69

Whit-thanks for the feedback,it does look like USA Niloak.Found it online w/Ce BCA's help- it's Hilda Tosen /Agateware/Nerikomi Teapot/Japan ($70-80,better than a sharp stick ?).Kudos on the old moro/spanish/junk pistol that came w/ the Keris (Calis/Kalis !?)-will post pics when i take it apart.

judy likes this.
  8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

The characters are 陶仙 if that helps.
    陶 = pottery, and 仙 = imortal being (also used by recluse literati, monks, artisans living in isolation in the mountains, hence the character being composed of the elements "person / 人 /亻" on the left and "mountain / 山" on the right. )

9. bosko69

Jay Bee- You're language knowledge is amazing ! It sounds like poetry from The Book of Changes. You know for 40 years whenever a great change/decision is coming about,we always consult The I Ching's Hexagrams.We also do lots and lots of research,if an impasse is encountered, we toss the Oracle's yarrow sticks (or pennies !).

Pat Dennis likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted