Japanese Tea Bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Mar 25, 2024.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Bought 5 of these Tea bowls which could be Chawan. Stands 2 1/2" tall and measures 3 7/8" across the top. Feels more stoneware and has small white stones in in the clay. Any idea on age?

bowls1.jpg bowls2.jpg bowls3.jpg bowls4.jpg bowls5.jpg bowls6.jpg

wlwhittier and kentworld like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Doesn't chawan mean tea bowl?:confused: So if they are tea bowls, they would automatically be chawan?

3. kraftblue

Any, ok I had to google that. I thought it was a time period. Google lens is confusing at times. There are some similar to mine on google lens...some with the little white stones.

Marote, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

;)

5. kraftblue

A similar bowl on google was done by Takahashi Rakusai IV

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Looks to me like they came from the same kiln as your recent post of sake cups...so here's more to the story!

7. kraftblue

The last picture shows a slash mark on the left, all these cups have the same slash mark.

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

To confirm AJ - Chawan is tea bowl in both Chinese and Japanese - 茶碗 - often used for a porcelain type tea bowl in Japanese.

kentworld, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  9. kraftblue

Thanks Ce, I think these are Shigaraki.

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted