Japanese Satsuma? and Chinese Ceramic and Brass Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 27, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

After weeks of pitiful results, a couple of interesting things appeared at the Discovery shop. A search of Gotheborg did not result in anything, so I thought I would ask here. Perhaps, someone might have some ideas.

1. Japanese Jewelry Box. I'm not sure if the two pieces are supposed to go together. The lid has "10-15" on it and the bottom has "10-1." The color combinations are entirely different too. The lid has an inset, while the bottom doesn't have a matching rim and the shapes of the top and bottom are different. They do fit. That being said perhaps, they go together. This is one of my questions. The top has raised flowers reminiscent of Satsuma? or perhaps a different style. It is hand painted. It is 4.25 inches in diameter and 2.25 inches tall. Does anyone have any comments?

IMG_9540 (1).JPG IMG_9536.JPG IMG_9539 (1).JPG IMG_9537 (1).JPG IMG_9544 (1).JPG IMG_9542 (1).JPG IMG_9543 (1).JPG

2..The second piece is a brass covered ceramic bowl with a Made in China stamp. I have a feeling that the is vintage at least. Again, nothing in Gotheborg. I am trying to decide if it is a keeper or just something of interest. Any thoughts you might have will help me decide. It is 6 inches in diameter. Please see the second post for one more photo.

IMG_9545 (1).JPG IMG_9546.JPG IMG_9547.JPG

pearlsnblume and Potteryplease like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The box base is Chinese and has a Qianlong mark on it (although it is of later production). The lid looks much more Japanese so it is possible they are a later marriage and were originally unrelated.

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Wow! Wow! Wow! I am beyond thrilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really. An actual Qianlong piece. I couldn't be happier. Maybe I'll run across a top some day. It was marked as a Japanese piece at the Discovery shop, so I went with that. I love older Asian pieces. I don't care if they were a marriage. See this in hand also helps me look for other things. Thank you, Thank you. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted