Featured Japanese Reverse Painted Glass Panels (Art or Glass category?)

Discussion in 'Art' started by laura9797, Mar 16, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

We are currently working in a wonderful hoarder's house full of treasures. I MEAN FULL! Jam packed. I have never seen so much ART! The estate sale is at the end of this month and although the house is extremely small, we are going to be staging and pricing up to the last minute. This gentleman was 94 years old - military - and his house was packed with collectibles from every place imaginable art. I did find a box of reverse painted panels - I am assuming they are Japanese. They are marked with the Hanamaru flower and I wasn't sure if that was attributable? There are assorted sizes so I didn't bother measuring. Very similar to the panels you would see in a lantern or tea caddy which this house has as well. I'll post a link to the sale in case anyone wants to take a peek. We are updating daily as we clean, stage, dig out. The basement had approx. 100 totes - all filled with collectibles as well. https://www.estatesales.net/GA/Woodstock/30188/3948738 IMG_5459.JPG IMG_5529.JPG IMG_5532.JPG

johnnycb09, Bronwen and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Assorted sizes" but multiples of the same size? You don't give dimensions but they certainly look as if they could belong to a lantern.

Debora

861E3A5F-6121-485B-BB55-43BD9A387816_616x.jpeg

mirana, Marote, johnnycb09 and 6 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They do. And a Chinese lantern, not Japanese. The costumes are Chinese too.

mirana, Potteryplease, Marote and 3 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

If I fly to Georgia, can I have first dibs on the sale??? :D;):D

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

HA! We are actually doing to have to do a controlled entry because of the amount and value of the contents and the lack of space.
    But they are marked with the Japanese Hanamaru flower? Wouldn't that be strange?

6. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

What an interesting and fun sale! Wish I lived there.

laura9797 and Potteryplease like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hanamaru is a Japanese word, but the mark as such is also used in Korea and China, and similar marks are found in other parts of East Asia.

But I am not entirely sure it is meant as a Hanamaru, or if it is just a decorative round squiggle. Why would they put an "OK" mark on a random wall, below a window?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted