Japanese porcelain mark help, and Buddha face

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Oct 9, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I searched a lot yesterday, trying to figure out the mark on this. Is it a fake mark? On Goth, I read something about 6 character one row marks in a horizontal line, are likely fake. But, I'm reading this mark as vertical....or am I orientating it the wrong direction? I can't find any 6 character vertical marks that look like this one. Any ideas? I tried to draw what I see, but some of it could be wrong....it's very small for my eyes to see it well.
    Stands about 6" high with lid.
    DSCN3212.JPG DSCN3213.JPG DSCN3214.JPG DSCN3215.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. tyeldom3

Cast iron Buddha face wall hanging mask. It has a mark, but darned if I can make out any of it:sour: It doesn't look like it has much age, but I don't know. I see a few similar on ebay, and they aren't really selling. So, maybe it's a modern made in china mark? Thanks for your time.
    DSCN3216.JPG DSCN3217.JPG DSCN3220.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

WAG...Could the first be a Kutani mark?

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks Don, I think I looked at kutani marks, but I'll go look again. Nuff helped me find an almost identical jar on the finds thread. Maker unknown, but some good information there about it.
    Thanks again:)

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The top mark may be Chinese. I think it is comprised of 3 characters. I have included a pic of the 3 characters separated. I haven't found a mark on Gotheborg with the same 3 characters, but have found each mark as part of other marks. Examples: On the following Gotheborg Chinese marks page

Hardly a 1/4th of the way down the page:
    Section: "Guangxu Nian Zao (1875-1908)," #194/209 and #585
    Their top mark in the left column is similar, but not sure the same, to your top mark, 1. Their bottom mark in the left column is the same as your bottom mark, 3.

A bit more down the page:
    Section: "Hall's / Buyer's names", #440
    Their top mark, left column, is the same as your top mark, 1. It come up to a peak with 3 horizontal lines through it and has that divided box under it.

About 1/3rd down the page:
    Section: "Kangxi (For genuine marks of the period, see Qing dynasty page)", #s: 574, 336, 797, 732, etc...
    Just about all the bottom marks in the left column are the same as your bottom mark, 3.

About 1/2 way down page:
    Section: "Qianlong Nian Zhi - Qianlong Period Make," all the top marks on the far right look the same as your middle mark, 2.

--- Susan

upload_2014-10-11_4-58-10.jpeg

lauragarnet, tyeldom3 and gregsglass like this.
  6. tyeldom3

Wow Susan thank you for your time and all that wonderful, thorough help! I'm sorry I didn't thank you sooner, I went on a little weekend getaway. I'm just on my first cup of coffee, and will check out all your info when I'm more awake, lol:kiss:

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Tyeldom3,

Even without looking at the marks, your item is clearly Japanese and not Chinese.

The characters are: 大日本 = Dai Nippon (Great Japan). The last character is: 製 = sei (made by, made at or made in).

Your makers basically translate as: Made in Great Japan

I gave you this rough translation within the Finds Thread.

8. 'Nuff_Said

It can be very confusing when trying to ID Asian items and their markings. Trust me, I know! I've been at it for almost 3 years now and still have many troubles. It's one of, if not the hardest and most challenging fields I've ever been involved with.

For instance... the item below I purchased a few weeks ago is marked with "Chinese-style" marks on base that read: Da Ming Chenghua Nian Zhi. Now just because this item is marked with Chinese-style marks of the Ming Dynasty, doesn't make it Chinese made and/or of the Ming Period.

One should never look at the mark first when trying to ID an Asian item. You have to look at the work (item itself) first to determine the style (Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc.) and the makings last. Just as with fine art (paintings, prints and drawings). One should NEVER focus on a signature first, then the work to help establish and ID.

I wish I had more time to explain, but unfortunately I have to go for now (day job calls).

FISH TRAY 001-001.JPG FISH TRAY 002-001.JPG FISH TRAY 003-001.JPG

lauragarnet, tyeldom3 and 42Skeezix like this.
  9. 42Skeezix

One should never look at the mark first when trying to ID an ... item. You have to look at the work (item itself) first to determine the style... and the markings last. Just as with fine art (paintings, prints and drawings). One should NEVER focus on a signature first, then the work to help establish and ID.

This is a cardinal rule for antiques collecting in general. IE Know your field.

When I started in antiques 90% of the stuff i was interested in had no "makers" marks at all. You had to learn the characteristics of the genuine items. Makers marks, if present at all where inconsequential in determining authenticity, often indicating just the opposite, a fake. It should be the characteristics of the piece itself that verify the authenticity of any mark.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. 42Skeezix

This flask was made at the Dyottville Glassworks in Philly around 1830.
    It is a Washington/Taylor flask, hand blown with a sheared neck, and a pontil on the base. It is embossed "Father of his Country" around Washington's portrait and "General Taylor Never Surrenders" around Taylor on the reverse. That is the only marking.

[​IMG]

These flasks were made around 1950 by the Clevenger Bros. in Clayton N. J.. They are hand blown, with sheared lips, and a pontil mark on the base. They are embossed outside the plate rings "Dyottville Glassworks Philada."

[​IMG]

Just one example.

11. 'Nuff_Said

Don,

You are 100% correct and thanks for posting the above.

Some of the best pieces of ceramics and fine art I have ever found didn't even have marks and/or signatures.

Here's what I've done over these past couple of years that helps me develop and "eye" for the what is or isn't as far as Asian ceramics....

Once I've found and established that the piece was/is authentic and of the period (be they in perfect condition or damaged) I saved them. I have one good piece dating from as late as the Republic (1912 - 1949) Period, to as old as the Song/Yuan (960 - 1368) Period. Don't get me wrong, books and going to museums is a very, very good way to help you develop or train your eye, but IMO, there's NOTHING like handling the piece (again, damaged pieces or not). You get to examine the item up close and personal and this helps train your eye on what characteristics to look for. There's a certain thickness, color depth and sheen (similar to that rainbow effect of oil & water mixed) that all of these old antique pieces have that the modern fakes and/or fakers just cannot grasp.

12. 'Nuff_Said

Those bottles reminded me of this piece I purchased awhile ago for $0.50

SJ BOTTLE 001-001.JPG SJ BOTTLE 002-001.JPG SJ BOTTLE 003-001.JPG

13. tyeldom3

That's great information Don and Nuff, thank you for sharing. I think I have some of those bottles around here somewhere, and now I want to dig em out and see what they look like.
    I understand what you all are saying, I can compare that to some Madeira linens that I was always curious about. I was on the hunt for a couple of years, trying to find real Madeira linen. There are a lot of knock-offs of it out there, and that's all I was finding in my hunts. One day at a church sale I bought a big box of linens, and found a bunch of beautiful napkins in there. When I held them, and looked them over, I just knew they were Madeira, and it wasn't until I was able to see them in real life that I understood the quality.
    Thank you:cat:

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. JohnnyK

JohnnyK New Member

Hi, I have a vase with the same mark. Did you ever find out if it was Japanese and if so, do you know area made and when?
    Thanks,
    JohnnyK

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@tyeldom3 ...........
    ur help needed on a 6 year old thread.........

16. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

J
    I just noticed this real old post got a reply, so thought I'd jump in too... :)

This is 春光製 = Chunguang
    Homecoming "Shunko Made" Seto Haruto Kato Blurred color Kinmori Butterfly and flower painted. Japanese
    [​IMG]

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks for your reply, @Couch Potato Wannabe -- We have not seen the original poster here in about a year... she used to be a regular. I think your reply will help @JohnnyK and also others!

i need help likes this.
  18. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

'tis okay, I realised it was an older post and was surprised I was even linked into it in the first place, given its age. Though I hoped it may help someone.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Figtree3

I noticed that you realized the post was older... I wasn't being critical, at all. I just mentioned that the original poster hadn't been back but that your post could help somebody else! :kiss:

i need help likes this.
  20. Figtree3

Posts in this site seem to stay around forever! New members sometimes reply to threads that are five years old or more! And I do hope that @tyeldom3 (original poster) drops by some time.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted