Featured Japanese Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NanaB, Aug 7, 2024.

1. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I started going through boxes of porcelain, glass, etc. I have this plate we can’t remember whom it came from I have googled lens, and can’t seem to find anything & it was unable to translate it.10 inches/25 cm. Thanks in advance for any help IMG_5222.jpeg IMG_5221.jpeg IMG_5225.jpeg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

@ thank you so much it’s a start.

Roaring20s and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I have to vote for Chinese.

komokwa likes this.
  5. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Ok. It was one the things I couldn’t find ( I am in the process of continuing to divvy our things to our kids) thank you. I have some more I can’t find I will be posting in a bit.

6. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I am by far no expert in Chinese porcelain, but I do have a bit of knowledge with Chinese coins. If I squint, the right looks like Da Qing (大清) and the centre looks like Kangxi (康熈), who was Emperor of the Qing dynasty from 1661-1722. Not saying this is from that period, but that looks like who this mark is imitating.

From my porcelain knowledge, I often see the stacking of the six characters like this done in Seal script, but your piece is done in a very crude Traditional script... if any of that helps. x)

7. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Thank you I have no knowledge of any of it. It was inherited and has been wrapped for a few years in a climate controlled attic, amongst many other things!

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think it is 20th c. You may want to peruse Chinese marks at gotheborg.com to see if yours is there. The Chinese often marked their wares with an "honorific" mark which would allude to a previous dynasty, so dating relies on other characteristics of design and form.

Potteryplease and NanaB like this.
  9. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, I appreciate all of the help.

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted