Japanese or Chinese bronze bowl.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by afantiques, Jul 20, 2015.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

6 inch wide and about 2 inches deep. The mark on the base is pretty clear and I wonder if anyone can read it?

1-P1040211.JPG

1-P1040210-001.JPG

2. afantiques

No help with this mark, anyone?

3. afantiques

It appears to be a Xuande reign mark, and I'm betting that it is the usual fake mark from a much later period.

4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

It is a Chinese Ming dynasty Xuande reign mark, but that does not mean that your bowl/censer was made in that period, as the mark was used also later many times. I am not good in dating Chinese bronzes, so maybe somone else can help with age?
    Mat

5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I was late, you found it yourself!

6. afantiques

Thanks anyway. I always assume Chines marks are fake and later.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I wouldn't dismiss this too easily. This apparently sold on ebay for about $1900.00. Sorry, no more info or more pics since I gleaned this off Pinterest. Someone later commented that they thought this was a new fake.

[​IMG]

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

What size is the square containing the marking shown? One rsn I ask is that the mark's characters are "in relief" and very slightly rough at the edges, both of which probably mean the mark was cast-in rather than stamped with steel stamps. Does that mean anything important? We've been looking at Chinese marks in metal of decorative items recently, which seem to be stamped into the metal, so a cast-in mark makes me wonder whether it is legit. I don't know this area-trying to learn more.

Draft saved Draft deleted