Japanese Imari ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by guy roberge, Nov 6, 2022.

1. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

This porcelain bowl measures nearly 6" across the top. It appears to be Imari, but the pattern is unusual. The red diagonal lines below the rim is also atypical of Japanese Imari, but I have seen it on an Amsterdam Bont bowl. Have any of you seen anything like this bowl?

IMG_8154.JPG IMG_8159.JPG

2. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think you are right with Japanese but I can't help further.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Me too. ON both counts.

4. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

I agree that it appears to be Japanese, but I'm somewhat frustrated in not finding Imari with such atypical patterns.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another vote for Japanese.

I may be stating the obvious, but Amsterdams Bont is 18th century Chinese porcelain, often blue and white, that was "embellished" in the Netherlands, notably in Amsterdam. The added designs were Chinese-inspired, not Japanese.
    Bont is the Dutch word for multi-coloured or gaudy.

6. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

You weren't. I knew a little bit about Amsterdam Bont only recently discovering it. Thanks for the added info I wasn't aware of. I made reference to Amsterdam Bont because the only place I could find the type of red diagonal lines seen on my bowl was on a bowl that was said to be Amsterdam Bont, which I now learned would have originated in China.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted