Japanese Cherry Bark Tea Caddy, Applied Decor

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Jan 10, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Every one of these I've seen is either a covered metal or wood container overlain with cherry bark. This appears to be entirely made of bark. The decorative features, at the cover center, upper edge an' skirt, an' at the lower edge of the body, are painted. It's 3 1/2" high, 3 1/8" diameter; it weighs 3 1/4 oz. The maker's label might be helpful in dating it, if it can be read by any of you. In the research I've done, these are usually with a tea-scoop, often of cherry bark...this one is missing its scoop, unfortunately. Otherwise it seems unused; there is no wear or damage anywhere, inside or out.I'm hoping it's pre-war, but may be newer by decades. Thanks for lookin'!

P1400053.jpeg P1400054.jpeg P1400055.jpeg P1400056.jpeg P1400057.jpeg P1400058.jpeg P1400060.jpeg

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The bark's got an amazing texture.

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's even better in the hand. If it weren't for the label onna bottom, I'd place it late Meiji. It is exquisite in every detail. Fit an' Finish are perfect...but at best they go for well under $50 on eBay. I'l probably hand it to a favorite granddaughter.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted