Japanese Bronze Plaque

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Josh, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I have a bronze plaque with a Japanese scene on it. My first assumption was that this originates from Japan, but there are no marking or signatures to confirm this. Plaque measures 14 7/8" by 12 1/8". Any help would be appreciated.

DSCF8091 - Copy.JPG DSCF8092 - Copy.JPG DSCF8093 - Copy.JPG

mymysharona43 likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's the right size to be a flue cover. This scene was popular in the 50s. Maybe earlier

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you do a google search of "Japanese Bronze Plaques" and click on images, yours comes up third so maybe it will garner outside interest.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You should do some closer inspection to see what metal it is really made of. The metal is much thinner than we see in cast bronze plaques-may be a stamping. Look closely at the little protrusion used for hanging-looks pretty white where it is rubbed, doesn't it? It clearly has an artificial patina. Bronze plaques aren't made by stamping because the bronze isn't ductile enough to stamp-it would crack..

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I concurr with Bev it is a flue cover.
    greg

6. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Never would have thought of a flue cover, thanks to Bev and Greg for that. As for the metal, I guess I should have paid closer attention before posting. After examining, i would think probably spelter with a bronze plating.

Draft saved Draft deleted