Japanese bowl with foo dog Antique?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jeasta, Oct 26, 2023.

1. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Hey y'all,
    I picked up this bowl at an antique fair a couple weeks ago. I google image searched the bowl and didn't find anything, but the mark was pulling up similar marks for Satsuma pieces made in the late 1800's early 1900's. I don't know a whole lot about Asian ceramics and how to date them, so I was hoping that one of you guys could help me with figuring out the approximate age and maybe even the maker.

Thanks for checking it out!

This is a link for a much more ornate piece with a similar mark. The left side of the mark looks the same to me.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2560041251...GSPGpLXRm2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE
    IMG_5078.jpg IMG_5084 3.jpg IMG_5089 2.jpg IMG_5092.jpg

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The marks says 'Satsuma' in Japanese characters under the Shimazu clan mark. Traditional Japanese Satsuma isn't decorated like this and the crazing looks forced rather than natural. The Komainu knop also has a lack of detail compared to what is usually found on pre war Satsuma. So overall it likely dates sometime from the 60's to the 70's

komokwa, kentworld, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  3. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Thank you! My initial thought when I picked it up was that it was vintage and that the crazing wasn't from age, but I wanted to check with you guys. I always want to be accurate with my listings.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted