Featured Japanese blue and white vase with 10 character mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ratsy Brown, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello boys and girls. Today i have found a few chinese bits and pieces, this one is by far the nicest and im hoping for help dating and finding more details on it. 10 character mark on base. Many thanks!

FullSizeRender-29-08-17-01-43-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-29-08-17-01-43-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-29-08-17-01-43.jpg

Ghopper1924, lauragarnet and judy like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The first three characters say Dai Nippon, so--Japanese.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a 10 character mark before! 4 and 6 are what I usually see.

Nice piece, but the handles and reticulation (holes) at the top make me think newer rather than older.

5. Ratsy Brown

Thanks janet, i have changed the title.

I think you're right kentwhirled...its very fine work though, especially the pattern. The pictures dont really do it justice. I will post the mark on a translation site

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  6. Ratsy Brown

Ive done some more Googling and have come across some Hirado porcelain that seems similar in design and marks. Anyone here familiar?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece, I like the top of the vase the best.

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is Seto porcelain, made by someone of the Kato (加藤) family, I am just not sure which Kato. Date should be the Meiji period...

9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

10. Ratsy Brown

Brilliant Mat, thankyou so much

lauragarnet, judy and Mat like this.
  11. KentWhirled

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Japanese marks tend to give more info than Chinese ones, for example Country of origin, place of manufacture, potter, decorator, type of ware, so there are quite a few marks with a lot of characters. Here are some examples of Seto marks: http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/seto-markings.html

lauragarnet and KentWhirled like this.
  13. KentWhirled

Thanks, Mat! Very useful information!

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Antique Inishie

Antique Inishie Kobijutsu enthusiast

"Dai Nippon Mino" made by Kato Itsuura, most probably from the Meiji Period.
    Since Seto and Mino were located close to each other, they had cultural exchange and mutual influence. They even shared their techniques in pottery and porcelain.

Bakersgma, KentWhirled, Mat and 2 others like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you, great info!

Draft saved Draft deleted