Japanese Bamboo & Silk Fan - any Japanese speaking members here??

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by L0z, Jan 31, 2017.

1. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Hi guys

Firstly, not sure if i'm posting in the right section, so please feel free to move it to a more relevant forum if need be :shame:

I am really eager to learn some more about this beautiful Japanese fan I bought some time ago. I have hunted high and low for something similar, but haven't really had a lot of luck. Anything remotely similar interestingly seems to be quite valuable and I'd love to find out more about this and whether or not it's the item that makes me a millionaire LOL :woot::droid:

What I do know about it, is compared to lot's of others I have seen, it's extremely good quality and well made. The sticks are made from bamboo and feature some beautifully written Japanese calligraphy that has been hand carved ON BOTH SIDES. Unfortunately I don't speak Japanese so have absolutely no clue whatsoever to what its says. It does make this stand out as a quite unique item though and it would be great if someone who understands Japanese was able to translate this, which will no doubt reveal everything that's need to know about this wonderful item. The fan itself is a golden silk and both sides feature some fantastic art, which I've worked out as being the 12 Zodiac signs, year of the tiger, rabbit, monkey etc etc. I believe that the marks displayed to the right
    on one side of the fan are the makers mark - again, would be fantastic if I was able to establish this.

I have no clue if it's antique or modern, I just know its a very good quality hand carved, possibly hand painted Japanese fan and any information or knowledge on this would be really appreciated :) Thank you!

DSC_0020.JPG DSC_0019.JPG DSC_0017.JPG DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0021.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, I sold one much like it a few months ago.
    Modern Chinese. The designs in the bamboo are traditional but laser cut.

Asian Fever, judy and L0z like this.
  3. L0z

L0z Well-Known Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying to find out more about it with absolutely no joy at all...I literally have been unable to identify anything similar. So it's definately chinese? I showed a chinese guy it and he told me it was Japanese, lol?! What about value? How much did yours sell for? Do you still have any pictures of the one you sold? Maybe you could point me in the right direction of places to sell?

Appreciate the input :smuggrin:

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Oops, I deleted the pictures after the sale.
    It was a creamy white fan with the four Chinese seasonal plants, cherry blossom, peony, chrysanthemum and bamboo, painted in black. The signature was also in the usual black, with a traditional red stamp. The back had calligraphy, a poem or story. The bamboo frame was the same as yours, except the main cut out design was of a flowering branch in a vase on a Chinese gaming table.
    I bought it from China about seven years ago, and sold it to a Chinese guy here in The Netherlands, so there is a definite Chinese theme here. Besides, as a fan collector and collector of Chinese antiques, I can tell you it is Chinese.
    My asking price was 25 euro, about 21.75 pounds, which may have been too little because he didn't haggle (Chinese custom), and asked if I had more. It doesn't matter, I made a profit and was happy with what I got for it.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

judy, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Lol, You do read Chinese :dead:

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

No I just read fan:D. (Translate)I am a fan of fans, in fact I am the biggest fan fan on this forum:playful:.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's FANtastic !:hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I was waiting for that one, where were you?

10. komokwa

close by.....but timing is everything..! :hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

My nerves are shot!:nurse::dead:

12. komokwa

maybe try and fan yourself to calm down.....

[​IMG]

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Ah yes, a fan and a glass of bubbly, why didn't I think of that:).

Draft saved Draft deleted