Japanese-American Nobuo “Nicky” Watanabe Naive Serigraph Japan

Discussion in 'Art' started by cartoongirl, Jan 14, 2015.

1. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

Hi! Hoping some one could help me out with this Nobuo Watanabe serigraph. I have been searching for weeks and am unable to find any older works by him. His 'new' limited editions run to 1000. I would love to at least pin down the year.

Signed by the artist in pencil, numbered 38/80. The printed part is 12 3/4" by 16 1/2.
    The paper has an embossed mark...Gendai Hanga Center...Tokyo, Japan

Titled "Country Fair" with Japanese and other symbols throughout (love the flying octopus!). There is a newer "Country Fair" print, which is more American and homogenized than this.

"Born in Japan in 1937, Nobuo “Nicky” Watanabe has made a life for himself as an artist. Although he began his creative career as an actor and an advertising film director, he eventually turned to painting. While obtaining a formal art education, Watanabe studied color techniques in California, eventually falling in love with America and moving to San Francisco."
    IMG_0749.JPG IMG_0748.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0754.JPG IMG_0756.JPG IMG_0753.JPG

desperate_fun likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Are you sure this is his work? The signature doesn't match. Looks like it reads Kailuo Balu or something similar. Have to admit that it looks like his work but I certainly can not find this one. Here is his signature .....
    watanabe.JPG

3. cartoongirl

Hi! Yes, I forgot about that...I couldn't even make it out when i got it, so i googled something like...Japan Naive Folk Art Serigraph. I saw the similarities, too, and went with it. I googled his signature, and it looked just like the one on mine. I never saw the one you posted.

I'm 99.99% positive it's him...maybe a different siggie for the Japanese market?

4. cartoongirl

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I don't see how you think the signature you posted matches his. I really don't.

gregsglass and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Yours has a K and a B. I don't see any resemblance to an N or a W. Plus the style is totally different. I'm an artist and I do not think this is by Nobuo at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted