James Yates Pewter

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Psittac, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

I am trying to get a handle of my late grandparent's collection. I figured I would start with Pewter and see what information I can get. A couple items are marked as James Yates. What do I need to know about pewter in general IE: what to look out for and how to know the value of something. This is a broad question but I am trying to get a feel for this.

Thank you in advance.

20171229_165530-s.jpg

20171229_165706-s.jpg

20171229_165742-s.jpg

20171229_165751-s.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Please always>>>
    ~
    FULL IMAGE.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I did research on one a few years back. What little I remember.
    Pewter tankards had to be weighed and inspected for some reason.
    The numbers, 30, 47, 55 and 58 are years, whether that was 1754 or 1854, I can't remember.

Investigate English pewter tankards.
    These might be better with a specialty dealer/auction, if you have a large collection.

Adding:
    Mine was British. That's why I suggested English.

cxgirl and Psittac like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. Psittac

Psittac Active Member

Thank you, appreciated!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Those look like Victorian English measuring cups, called bellied measures. They were made in different sizes by lots of different makers - see this link for James Yates, which were made in Birmingham from 1860 to 1902: "bellied measures ... made in a whole range of sizes from one gallon down to very small fractions and survive in large numbers until today" http://www.pewterbank.com/James_Yates_-_revised_article.pdf

In general American pewter is more valuable than English or Continental, and earlier pewter is more valuable - 18th century more than 19th, and 19th more than 20th which has very little collector interest.

cxgirl and Psittac like this.