James A.M. Whistler and Childe Hassam etchings

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Last March I attended a very nice auction in Kalamazoo that had a great art and signature collection. I purchased a number of pieces at the auction. 3 of the pieces I purchased were Liverdun (from the 12 etchings from nature), by Whistler, Elms in May by Childe Hassam and House on Main, East Hampton by Hassam (both signed in pencil). I think I paid about $300 for the 3. I have sent these out to a conservator to be conserved so that I can display them in the house. I am curious to hear peoples opinions on conservation. My perspective is that I am primarily a collector and feel the need to preserve the work for the future and return it to a state where it can be enjoyed. In terms of the financial end, I have paid for my collection by buying and selling things I am not interested in keeping or rotating pieces out of the collection. IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg IMG_1202.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are all dead easy to restore, shouldn't be a problem but of course if they are laid down, that will complicate things and cost a bit more.
    Etchings are the least difficult paper things to restore as the inks used are not fugitive.
    Removing the backing (if laid down) follows ONE primary rule ..remove the backing from the print NEVER the print from the backing.;)

3. Lithographer

Thanks, that is good to hear. I will post some pics when I get them back.

judy likes this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Info on what you had done, and how much it cost, would be appreciated.

judy likes this.
  5. Lithographer

No problem, I will post that when they come back.

judy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Please show us the before and after images.

I'm all in favor of conservation. The only issue is cost. A collector can put as much money into a piece as they like. It's to their benefit in terms of present enjoyment and future resale value. You can put so much money into a piece that you will never recoup the cost. That doesn't matter if you don't intend to try, but intentions can change over time. Some future owner will be grateful for the effort regardless, but that doesn't mean they'll be willing to pay for it.

judy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Childe Hassam makes me jealous. Restore away! And show us the results so we can all drool.

8. Lithographer

Since this was the one that needed the least work, I sent it in for conservation. It cost between $150-$200 for the work. I just got it back from the framer, that was considerably more than the restoration. All things added up I have around $750 into the piece, I think that is a pretty good investment. IMG_1721.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted