Featured Jadeite jade graduated 2 rows 1930s necklace.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kyratango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

One of my favourite collection is vintage/antique jadeite jewellery!

Buying it online can be tricky, because of the green hue is very difficult to capture and monitors sometimes distort the real color!

Though the seller used all the keywords to get buyers (superb antique Art Deco jade jadeite graduated beads necklace), I caught this nice one as I was the only bidder:bucktooth:

Most of the so called jade single row necklaces get lots of bids, and sell for more than my 2 rows at 250$:facepalm:

Happy me :joyful:

I had my eye on another very fine one, with diamond clasp, ending in 14 hours, 54 following... it has just been cancelled :arghh: Resized_20190423_122627002.jpeg Resized_20190423_122715.jpg

Figtree3, Jivvy, scoutshouse and 16 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, kyra, great colour too, and another jade fan here.:happy:
    I am sorry about the one with the diamond clasp, but there will be other ones.:)

3. kyratango

Thanks AJ!
    I was a little anxious about the real color... I got once what seemed to be THAT color on sellers pics, and upon arrival was very light "mint in milk" green! No way the pics haven't been outrageously enhanced:rage:!
    Returned for refund was the only thing to do:smug:

Cancelled auctions are what I call "seller remorse"! :facepalm::hilarious:

4. kyratango

The canceled coveted necklace:
    [​IMG]

Jivvy, scoutshouse, komokwa and 9 others like this.
  5. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I am drowning in drool ... oh yumm. Yum.
    Kyra, yours is so so lovely and such a steal at that price, I think looking at them will console you for the other cancelled one.
    I don't see how diamonds even could enhance yours, it's beautiful enough as it is. I LOVE IT

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Beautiful!. I love the clasp too.
    The diamond one 'wasn't meant to be' for whatever reason.
    I too have been disappointed by sellers who cancel the sale after I've won an auction.(Lost,damaged,eaten by dog etc- really, I wasn't born yesterday.:rolleyes:). The one that made me really cross told eBay I'd requested to cancel the auction- he got really bad feedback from me :punch:.

7. kyratango

I had only one buy cancelled after winning the auction... I got only notification from Ebay, no contact from the seller, and I bought from her several pieces before! I emailed her to ask the reason and let her know Internet buys are based on communication...
    She just said "I lost it" without any apologies...
    Of course, I left a neg feedback, and guess what... She blocked me!:facepalm:

Another cancelling reason I got was... "my daughter saw it":hilarious:

@BoudiccaJones, thank you for your kind words and comfort for the "loss":joyful::kiss:

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ooh, lovely. But there is a much nicer one waiting for you.:) And the two-row one is not to be sneezed at either.:happy:

9. kyratango

Ho ho ho:joyful: I surely not sneeze at my 2 rows:facepalm:;)

As to a much nicer than the cancelled one is waiting for me somewhere... I consider I’ve been already blessed with my jadeite finds:woot: :joyful:

Going to post a kyratised pair of earrings of interesting shape, :peeking:!

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I actually like the first one better & trust it more. The color of the second one, if color is at all faithful to reality, looks too blue to me and I don't like that it is not knotted. Honestly, it looks more like green aventurine, strung by a home crafts person using a vintage clasp.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-select-a-japan/item/a154/

11. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

You might very well have been lucky not to get the opportunity to bid on the one with the diamond clasp. My own rule on certain necklaces is that if they are not knotted between stones they probably were not worth the price of spending that extra effort. I feel that perhaps it was poorly restrung and that the clasp may not have been original to the piece. Your double string necklace is great with all the right characteristics including the correct clasp. I also wonder about the loop on the rear of the clasp. Perhaps it had a tail at one time (1920's)? I Love it.

12. Gus Tuason

I totally agree with Bronwen. Also on second look of the double necklace, I note a chain near the clasp. Is this a safety chain? If so,it only reinforces its esteem in the eyes of the creator.

13. kyratango

Hi Bronwen:) the color of the second is the perfect illustration of the difficuly to render the true color! The background is bluish in the pic, and I’m sure it is actually white (I had same result in some pics, depending of the light...) thus the jade rendered the same blue hue:facepalm:
    I noticed too the threading without knots, but didn’t worry about it, because all the clues in the good quality pics are there for the jade being real, not any other green stone :)

@Gus Tuason, I agree this rule is generally true:joyful: but I saw some lazy re-stringers or customers non willing to pay extra$ for knots between each bead:facepalm:.

Thank you for loving my 2 rows!:)

The loop behind the clasp is only part of the safety chain I opened and forgot to show:facepalm:

Edit: You commented about the safety chain at same moment...

scoutshouse, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The printer paper I use as a white background for photos looks ultraviolet when photographed in sunlight. This is a property of the paper & how my camera sees it when set on automatic; it does not alter the color of items photographed with it.

15. kyratango

Interesting! I take my pics with my phone on my east window sill when there is no direct sun, and found that the best background there is the mate black sheet. The white paint or any white thing doesn’t render the true colors with my set up:nailbiting:

scoutshouse, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Gus Tuason

Doesn't it strike you as somewhat odd that someone, even a lazy re-stringer, would not do the best job when they are dealing with jade and a diamond clasp?

17. kyratango

@Bronwen here is the pic I took on the white paint at same time than on the black background :
    Resized_20190423_122655001.jpeg Resized_20190423_122627002.jpeg
    And the coveted, modified pic with more light and less color to try to get the background white:
    Resized_Screenshot_20190423-165001002.jpeg

Jadeite is as difficult to photography as opal:banghead:

18. kyratango

Nothing amaze me anymore in vintage jewellery... I got a very nice jadeite necklace strung on a fishline with a brass screwing clasp!!! (Can't show it it is in the bank vault!).
    But right the diamond clasp should have draw attention to the need of a quality restringing!

19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Love the one you got Krya. Gorgeous!

I can see the difficulties in photographing the color... and so important to get it right with jade.

Disappointing the seller cancelled the sale before the auction closed on that diamond one, but with 54 watchers it may have finished at an out of reach high price anyway.

Interesting to see these pieces. I'm sure there is another just around the corner for your bank vault. :)

20. kyratango

Thank you Lucille!
    You're right it must have gone much higher than I was willing to pay... but I like to know the prices to keep updated on value;)

Draft saved Draft deleted