Featured Jadeite? Glass Whatsit - Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Another church sale find and additional to the "green" collection. Loved the color and the dollar price tag! ;) But not a clue what this was intended for.

Pressed in a two-part mold (they didn't even attempt to hide the mold lines), 3.5 inches tall, about 3 inches wide across the top, with a 2 inch wide opening into a 2 inch deep well (rounded at the bottom.) What I presume to be the bottom of the item is shown last. No marks any where and few signs of use. One odd thing is that "blue-ish" cast to the edge of what I think is the bottom - almost as if it were cased, and not visible anywhere else.

Doesn't work in any way as a candle holder - the top opening is too wide and too rounded in the well, the bottom opening is too shallow and "spherical" in shape.

Any idea what this was? Part of something else? Is "jadeite" the wrong term for the color? Or does it just become one of those oddities that looks pretty to a lover of green?

Jadeite Glass Whatsit 1.jpg Jadeite Glass Top.jpg Jadeite Glass Bottom.jpg Jadeite Glass edge color.jpg

cxgirl, KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

first thought is egg cup and found a couple listed that way

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Looks like jadeite to me, possibly an eggcup?

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Interesting. I just grabbed a "Large" egg and tried it out. No way. If I had let it go, it would have been completely inside the upper opening.

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Did eggs used to be much larger than they are now?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I agree.

7. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

There ya go...guess I don't type fast enough.

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Think so.

9. Bakersgma

Well, they'd have to have been not only wider, but much longer if they were to be served in this thing in the usual way. That "well" in the top is 2 inches deep. Shouldn't about half the egg be above the edge of the cup?

10. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Salt Dip?

aaroncab likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

In case you can't tell, we didn't have eggs served in "egg cups" in my house growing up. Soft-boiled were served in a bowl. You cracked the egg open with a knife, spooned the insides into the bowl (discarding the shell), added evap milk, salt and pepper. Cut up the white with your fork and knife and then turned the eggy goodness out onto a piece of toast on a plate. Yum!

Ladybranch likes this.
  12. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I have one of these as well. I've never found an ID.

If it's an egg cup, it would technically have to be a goose egg cup. Even jumbo chicken eggs are too small to sit inside this like you'd expect. I also thought it might be for cooking some type of egg dish - poached, for example. But like I said, I never found an exact ID.

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bless you, Uncle Chuck!

14. Bakersgma

Holy cow! There's a listing ebay for a pair - $58 plus over $20 shipping! :eek:

judy likes this.
  15. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

And about the slight blue color you mentioned - I've seen that before on pieces of this color glass. I think / guess that it's a heat issue from the production process. Either they have to reheat the glass to turn a blue base color into the jade green, or the jade green is the base color which turns blue if they heat it too much. They didn't heat your piece evenly to produce a uniform color, in other words. Same concept as how they reheat areas of certain amber /yellow glass formulas to turn them red & orange to create the modern "amberina" color...

judy, cxgirl and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Interesting info, UC. I know relatively little about the finer points of glassmaking, so every new tidbit of info is helpful!

judy likes this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

if you turn it over does the egg fit in that opening? I'm thinking of the double-end egg cups, when you turn it over your egg fits there (bottom now top) and your second egg is kept warm in the top now bottom part.
    DSC06068.jpg DSC06069.jpg DSC06070.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Nope - the "dent" in the bottom is still too wide and also too shallow to hold the egg upright. It just fell over. (I caught it, fortunately!) I did see that double-sided type when I was looking at egg cup listing and tried it out.

cxgirl likes this.
  19. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

My guess is a Herb Pot. Flower pot for planting herbs. possibly a hyacinth pot. JUST WAGS on my part.

judy likes this.
  20. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

You knew this was coming - Duck eggs are much bigger than chicken eggs!! When My ducks lay in the spring thru fall the eggs don't even fit into chicken egg containers, they are that big.

dgbjwc, judy and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted