Featured Jade Earrings- quality assessment?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lynn Forsell, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Hello, I'm selling these jade earrings that my parents acquired while living in Japan in 1955/1956. I'm trying to determine how to assess the quality. They are hand carved with integrated jade rings carved from the same source material. The fittings next to the stones are silver per XRF with attached gold posts. Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Jade earrings low res.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they look well made and of nice quality jade.

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

To price them I would check images online of hand carved jade earrings with gold posts and then find something close to yours to give you and idea of value. It is helpful in selling that you know the age and where they came from.

judy, Figtree3 and Lynn Forsell like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very nice jadeite pieces! The detached ring carved from one piece with the "pod" is really a plus.
    Judging the quality, it depends on the translucence and the even color of the stone.
    I think the posts were originally screwback for non pierced ears, 1920-1930s, so natural A grade jadeite.
    EBay isn't very reliable to price jade, as you encounter so much junk with hyperbolic and false descriptions...

George Chaney, judy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I agree with that. The metal on the posts appears to be a different color from the rest of the metal. The posts will be more desirable now, of course.

The earrings are very attractive!

judy, Lynn Forsell and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted