Featured Jade(?) Carved animals on base

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chilired, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Chilired

Chilired Member

Clipped_image_20231112_152315.png Clipped_image_20231112_152145.png Clipped_image_20231112_152315.png Clipped_image_20231112_152315.png Clipped_image_20231112_152145.png This is about 9" tall. Every time I look at it I find another animal. I've searched online for anything similar but couldn't find anything. Looking for ideas on what the supporting base is supposed to be; is it an elephant or ? What the carving with the different animals might represent and possible value. I believe it is India jade? It would have been a gift from my Uncle to my Aunt over 50 years ago.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like it goes beyond the animals of the Chinese zodiac. It's like a combination scholar's stone & Noah's Ark.

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Gorgeous thing. I'm no help, just admiring.

Boland and Bronwen like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The detail on that is amazing ! I think that piece is far better than just tourist tat. I love it ,I could stare at it for hours. I think its soapstone.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW, that is or appears to be intricately carved what with ALL those Figures!!!!! Are they carved out of, or added in to, OR a mixture of BOTH!!!! Somewhat hard to tell.........and I'm NO EXPERT on THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it IS TOTALLY Intriguing!!!!!!!!!

Boland, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Qingtian stone, one of those typical Chinese stones used to carve the nicer quality souvenirs or export pieces. The multiple colours of the stone are utilised to create and emphasize specific details, as you can see on yours.
    I believe it is regarded as one of the soapstones, which is just an umbrella term. It is actually a mix of several minerals:

https://www.mindat.org/min-40448.html

Qingtian stone carvings are heavily waxed for strength, which accounts for that soft look you see on yours. Don't put it in bright sunlight or near a heat source.
    Although not as valuable as jade or Shoushan stone, intricate carvings like yours are valued:

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...ne-carving-of-peanuts-using-415a-c-9de47c3831

Your photos are a bit too high contrast for me, but it looks like the lower part is just meant to be an unusual rock formation, which is often the case.
    More on Qingtian carvings:

http://en.chinaculture.org/library/2008-01/22/content_38089.htm

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great replies, all -- Especially @Any Jewelry 's detailed reply, with links!

8. Chilired

Chilired Member

Thank you so much for the comments and feedback, very appreciated. I love this piece. I keep seeing new animals that I've missed before.

Thank you as well @Any Jewelry for the detailed information and the links! I've attached another pic of the base. 20231113_112804.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you. I can't quite see what the base is meant to be, but I do see thatit was carved separately. The top was attached to the base using some kind of putty or cement. It looks original, so nothing to worry about.

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and Chilired like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted